Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Would like some feedback

From Pittsburgh
I can't see a hackle on it. And if there isn't - I would recommend a parachute tied around that post for flotation and stability. Other than that, it looks pretty good IMO.

However: I have tried several styles of upside down hook patterns like that before. And although the fish definitely seemed to like them, I had a hard time hooking them.
Definitely interested to see how you do with it

Posted on: 2012/2/28 0:08

From Philadelphia
Well, the woes are a thing of the past, at least for this trip. I got 3 really nice fish. All were 11 plus and 1 pushed 13. Two were acrobats and I SO love that. No pics though. I only had 1 rise to the fly in this post but I did hook it and it was fun. I have to make a few modifications to have stronger tails and I need the compara style to come a full 180 but I was happy with the first generation.

Thanks for everyones comments.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 18:53

From bucks county
Fly tier magazine has a good article in the spring addition on tying tips with a lot of those hook up dries. It also has a great part on extened body flies. Ive only tied dries for about 2 months and i already got it down pretty well.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 19:03

From Philadelphia
Quote:

nealfish wrote:
Fly tier magazine has a good article in the spring addition on tying tips with a lot of those hook up dries. It also has a great part on extened body flies. Ive only tied dries for about 2 months and i already got it down pretty well.

Thanks and keep tying. Practice makes perfect.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 19:16

From Bozeman
A point about your methods, not the fly.

FF is a dessicant, not a floatant. Adding it to an already dry fly actually has the potential to make things worse. I strongly believe that it ends up waterlogging your fly worse in the end if you apply FF unnecessarily or too often.

It'll get you better flotation at first, but within a few minutes, I'd wager that you'll need to apply it again and again once that stuff gets waterlogged.

FF revives wet flies (and I use it often for that). For CDC, the only real floatant out there is dry magic.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 19:49

From Philadelphia
Thanks Jayl and noted.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 20:00

From Lehigh Valley
Jay - Frog's Fanny is hydrophobic fumed silica. That stuff I gave you at the Jam two years ago is pure hydrophobic fumed silica powder. I've heard debates on whether FF is/isn't a mix, but the stuff I have seems exactly like FF to me.

Dessicants are the dry shake kind of stuff - they're the ones that attract water, aka hydrophyllic fumed silica.

So...

hydrophobic = repel water = FF
hydrophyllic = attract water = dessicant type powders

This is why it's best to dry a soaked fly off with a paper towel, amadou, or the old shirt sleeve, before applying FF.

I do agree that Dry Magic is the best for cdc though. I also agree that once you start with the FF, ya gotta reapply pretty often.

Lemme know when you need more of that stuff, and I'll send you another container. Hopefully, we don't get busted by the ATF.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 20:34

From Bozeman
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I've managed to use about a quarter of it and breathe another quarter of it in when filling my bottle. I'll let you know once I manage to accidentally inhale the last of it!

Thanks ed.

Posted on: 2012/2/29 12:51

From Virginia/SWPA
For the first dry I've ever seen tied with hook point up I'd say it looks damn good. Only one critic you have to impress. The Fish

Posted on: 2012/2/29 14:51

~Irish proverb~

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com