Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Would appreciate your opinions

From Emigrant, Mt
I made some bodkins for Christmas gifts for a couple friends and they encouraged me to make some more to sell in the local shops. So, over the last few weeks I was playing around in my shop experimenting with different local wood that I picked up along the river.

My favorite ones were made out of cedar. I just finished a small batch to take to a couple shops in Bozeman to see if there is any interest in them. But, first I wanted to run some pics by you guys.
So, tell me what you think, both positive and negative.

Here are a few pics.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks for any input.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 11:22

Re: Would appreciate your opinions

From Lehigh Valley
flybop - Saw the pics of those on the FFM board, and they're as beautiful here as they were there! I have visions of an entire set of tying tools crafted with handles like that. How cool would it be to tie with tools that have handles made from driftwood from a favorite stream? You just might be pioneering something new there.
Don't forget about the boys back East! A Penn's Creek set of tools would be awfully sweet. I wish you luck in your enterprise, but judging from the looks of the finished product, luck won't play a factor.........Ed

Posted on: 2008/2/20 12:04

From Bozeman
Beautiful.

How big are they?

Posted on: 2008/2/20 12:06

From bucks cty
Nice. Take it to the extremem and build a wooden strip fly rod?

Posted on: 2008/2/20 12:19

From Emigrant, Mt
Thanks for the input. Since they are made from raw stock and everyone is different, the size varies. I do try to keep them from around 4 to six inches. As I am getting them into shape I do hold each one to make sure that there is a sweet spot so that it will feel comfortable in hand.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 12:43

From Pittsburgh
Very, very nice...make sure you offer some with a curve for left handed people (ME in particular.)

Having been in retail as HR & Training for decades... make sure your collecting of the wood is legal. I'm sure you have checked into it, but I could see those being very poplular and things like source of material legalities aren't usually thought of until the issues (and fines) get quite large. [quote]with different local wood that I picked up along the river

Posted on: 2008/2/20 14:36

From Emigrant, Mt
Thank you for bringing up the legal aspect of this. Montana has a high water mark acess law. So, when I am below the high water mark along the river I am ok.

Of course if you leave YNP with a stone in your shoe you can get busted. I would never, ever even try to get material in the Park. To completely avoid any legal issues I now am getting my wood from a friend's ranch. With five miles of river frontage there is more than enough from that source to keep me going.

Thank you everyone for you comments. I will have a bit more confidence in the bodkins when I take them to the shops tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 14:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com