Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Wool Yarn For Patterns

Hi there. A ?: Does anyone use knitting wool yarn for fly patterns?

There is a little yarn shop near my house where the ladies form a circle and knit together all weekend (perhaps whilst their husbands play golf and fly fish). I went in there last spring to see if I could find some useful tying materials and discovered a girl I went to Penn State with knits there. We talked, she showed me around, and I found some gray- and cream-colored wool yarn that felt "fishy" and when I brought it home I combined these materials with deer hair and pheasant tail feather and came up with some wet flies I can now call "patent fish catcher patterns" that have lured brown trout, smallmouth bass, and redbreast sunfish.

Anyone else out there use wool yarn? Curious . . .

Posted on: 2008/3/17 10:59

Re: Wool Yarn For Patterns

From Carlisle
Theres a nymph that I tied for using in the Smokies a few years back that I used yellow wool yarn with. I've tried yarn on streamers, but the particular yarn that I tried was just a little too thin for my liking. I use wool for some of my stockies nymphs and streamers though because its a relatively durable material. The one thing I really like about wool is once its wet it becomes like a rock. It's definitely a cheap & easy dubbing material when you're first starting out and don't have much luck with dubbing..

Posted on: 2008/3/17 11:17

I'm a big fan of wool yarn bodies. However, I prefer tapestry yarn over knitting yarn since it is finer and comes in smaller, less expensive packages. The problem is that tapestry yarn is getting harder for me to find. I get little pieces of left-over yarn from relatives who knit or do wool embroidery.

Wool yarn is traditional, is easy to use, makes a nice buggy body, comes in a whole bunch of colors, and sinks like a rock. That makes it great for nymphs and wets, but poor for dries and emergers. I use wool yarn for all my smaller stonefly nymph bodies and use it for woven stonefly patterns as well. Real wool makes great red tails/tags. A neutral tan or gray wool also makes a good underbody material for larger nymphs. I found a dark brown yarn a few years back that makes a great substitute for a pheasant tail body.

Posted on: 2008/3/17 13:44

From philadelphia
like jeff,i use real wool for my red tags.my girlriend sometimes dubs and ties soldier palmers with the same yarn,of which we have a lifetime supply.

we know a lot of knitting circle girls and they give us bags of yarn and chenille salvage.

chadwick's #77 anyone?

Posted on: 2008/3/17 16:03

From philadelphia
oops,i meant #477,the famous killer bug yarn.

it is a big money item now.i don't own any,but sure wouldn't mind.

Posted on: 2008/3/17 20:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com