Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Wings

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
If you want to learn the Catskill dry fly then be at the Catskill fly fishing museum on February 12 when we have our annual get together. www.cffcm.net check out their site.

Posted on: 2011/1/16 15:58

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From S.E. PA
I've been tying without wings for years and the fish dont seem to mind.

Posted on: 2011/1/16 18:22

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:
dryfly,

It's not a question, rather a confirmation. When you are tying the dun pattern think wing, and when tying spinners think body..(greendrake)

Allright - gotcha now.
Actually though, I have seen fish get very selective on spinner patterns - especially on the Delaware river. Those fish frustrated me for years up there - they just refused to hit traditional spinner patterns tied with wings of poly or antron.
Then I started to use spinners with wings cut out from micro-web materiel. And it made all the difference in the world. Those fish suddenly weren't very tough at all any more

Posted on: 2011/1/16 22:31

From Johnstown, PA
afish........really cool article and pictures of Elsie Darbee , i can do a descent job of getting her look but i can't sit there for eight hours doin it , maybe four , JayL if you would even use the word "close" i'd consider it an extreme honor. George Harvey was also an advocate of dries tied in this style , he is where i learned the technique of using two or even three hackles to get that "Buzz" Fishi , you are the first one on here i remember ever using the word "art" to describe fly tying. For me that's what it is.

Posted on: 2011/1/17 7:19

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:
dryfly,

It's not a question, rather a confirmation. When you are tying the dun pattern think wing, and when tying spinners think body..(greendrake)

Allright - gotcha now.
Actually though, I have seen fish get very selective on spinner patterns - especially on the Delaware river. Those fish frustrated me for years up there - they just refused to hit traditional spinner patterns tied with wings of poly or antron.
Then I started to use spinners with wings cut out from micro-web materiel. And it made all the difference in the world. Those fish suddenly weren't very tough at all any more

The WBD will put any good fly pattern to the test. One hears a lot about the Hendicksons but not much on WBD drakes..Does the WBD get a robust green drake hatch?

Posted on: 2011/1/17 9:51

From Pittsburgh
I've fished green drakes on the west branch and main stem. However, I remember them for the most part hatching at dusk/ dark. Never saw many during the daytime there.
But I've been told that they will come off during the daytime on rainy days

Posted on: 2011/1/17 10:00

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com