White Wulff fly tying video

T

tctrout

Here's my most recent video, featuring Lee Wulff's White Wulff. This is a great fly to fish (as I'm sure many of you have over the years), and I wanted to share it with this group. I did have a LITTLE problem @ the end when my tying thread came lose at the whip finish, but I always half-hitch prior to that. I didn't want to edit that all simply bc I like stressing that mistakes happen, and they can sometimes be managed.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1WcJZb3VjQ[/youtube]

TC

Thanks, Tim. I actually just finished tying a few royal wulffs with the hackles I just bought - finally splurged and bought a grizzly and a brown half neck. Have you ever done a video on how to use dry fly hackle? I think my flies turned out ok, but I felt like I was wasting a lot of the feather - I could only use the top half or so because any further down the hackle got too long.

Here are the flies I tied:

20130923_192317.jpg

20130923_192407.jpg

I also used poly yarn for the wings rather than calf's tail because I didn't have any calf's tail. Seems like the poly yarn looks almost as good.

I may try tying some white Wulff's with the grizzly hackle I bought, too - I've never fished a white Wulff.

Beautiful video Tim! It's great to see the Wullf patterns tied as intended. They are big bushy scraggly flies, but too often folks equate that with careless tying. When tied well, as you demonstrate, they have a special appeal.
Mike.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Jeremy, your flies look great, for sure! You mentioned only using part of the hackle; what brand/quality of hackle are you using? That plays a large role in flies, especially Catskill-style.

TC

tctrout wrote:
Thanks for the comments, guys. Jeremy, your flies look great, for sure! You mentioned only using part of the hackle; what brand/quality of hackle are you using? That plays a large role in flies, especially Catskill-style.

TC

I bought metz genetic necks, grade 2, I think. I don't really know how much of the feather I *should* be able to use. As it goes down toward the base it gets broader and webbier, so I only use the top 2 or 3 inches of a feather that is like 5 or 6 inches long from the base of the stem to the tip.

I love all the Wulff patterns. Have caught many fish on them over the years. Nice vidio as well. I do tend to add more hackle than that though. I like them pretty bushy.

GenCon

Jeremy,

It's tough to say without seeing them, but I typically only use the parts of hackle that are all the same width. If you're doing this, then you're on the right track. The quality of hackle is extremely important, thus I do have some recommendations for you in the future.

You may consider purchasing saddle hackles versus capes, though they have both up- and downsides. Saddles are great bc of their length (which can be upwards of 8" - 10"), though @ times, you sacrifice by having a narrowed size selection (for hook/fly size).

My advice is to always buy the best hackle you're able to afford; two places I recommend are:

Clearwater Hackle
Collins Hackle

These are both run by great guys that you can call and talk to. Simply letting them know the most common flies you tie can then get you the hackle you need.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Tim

Back