Which vise?

h0ll0whill

h0ll0whill

Renzetti traveler or regal traveler?

I have a regal. I love it.

Anyone have experience with a Peak rotary vise?

If you don't mind your hooks shooting out of your vise every so often go with the regal .

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
If you don't mind your hooks shooting out of your vise every so often go with the regal .
:-o

You should know first hand about this one Afish

I've heard that Regals are prone to launching hooks but I've never had that happen. I think if you make sure that the hook is seated in the jaws far enough it wont happen. The jaws are convenient, fast, and hold great in my opinion.

No experience with Renzetti so I can't comment on them.

Boychick, the Peaks are nice, especially for the money. Very solid.

I got the renzetti this spring and love it so far. I've tied size 24 midges up to 5/0 musky flies and it handles them all well with some simple adjustments.

I'll jinx myself now and say I've had no problem with projectile hooks either.

I've been using a Renzetti Traveler since 2003. Never had any problems. I tie down to 32s with regular jaw.

Renzetti all the way. I couldnt do without true rotary anymore.

I've only tried the renzetti. I love my danvice but if I ever get another vice it will be the renzetti traveler.

I like my Griffin " Montana Mongoose". I tie down to size 24 and have never had a problem. I bought it about seven years ago. I think they run about $200 now. It comes with a hardshell case, a ceramic bobbin, hackle gage, c-clamp and pedestal base. IMO it's the best deal on the market.

++++Renzetti Traveler - many thousands of flies tied on it - big small and in-between sizes.

I've never tied on either one of the vises you're looking at, but
I've always heard very good things about the renzetti.
"But" I have tied on vises that were not true rotary and the difference is amazing.If you're getting a new vise, even if you have to save a little more you will never be sorry going with a true rotary. I really enjoy mine.

Renzetti Traveler a great vice for all things rotary and for the price. Renzetti set the bar for rotary,since then everyone else has copied their concepts. And the ice needs no extra jaws..unless you want to invest in a clouser jaw which the vice will tie clousers just fine the way it is.

HMH for stationary a Spartan is in a similiar price point an with investment into two separate jaws you can tie close to what the Renzetti Traveler does.

If you went to the fly fishing show Almost every pro tier had a regal. I made the dive and got one. Best vice I have ever used. I can get down to a 24 on the standard and I tie a low of salts on it and never had a problem.

ya the only way i see a hook flying out of a regal is total user error.

and the winner is..... renzetti... just picked it up...
thanks for all the replies!

drop the $10 for the material clip. It's worth it. The generic spring ones never seem to fit so well because the rezetti arm is narrow.

Back