Where can I find small partridge feathers?

P

pbugos

I have been tying a lot of soft hackle wet flies (mostly size 14 and 16) and usually use partridge feathers for the hackle. A while ago I purchased a Hungarian partridge skin, but there are very few small feathers left on it. I know there are some tying techniques that let you use bigger feathers, and I have tried them. But i don't like the result.

Before I spend another $35 or so for a new partridge skin I was hopeing that some one on the forum could recommend a source for a bird with a lot of small feathers. Thanks.

You're going to trade the lighter tones and mottling for a more even-toned slate black/gray, but a starling skin will give you a ton of feathers great for #14 and smaller soft hackles for pretty cheap.

Have you tried starling? Lots of small feathers on one of those skins. Not the same speckled appearance as partridge though.

If you want to buy another skin, and want it for smaller feathers, you're gonna have to trust the person choosing the skin for you (if ordering online or by phone).

If you call Flyfisher's Paradise, Steve will look over his stock, and TRUTHFULLY tell you if he has what you are looking for.

Steve knows tying, and he won't steer you wrong just to get a sale. He may have a good substitute in stock as well (hen back). Hen backs are dirt cheap, and make a great substitute for partridge.

http://www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com/Default.asp

Buy a grizzly hen saddle, strip off one side.

There's also pigeon and dove if you prefer.

Plenty of the right size in stock at the Classic Fly Fisherman in Lansdale.

Check out Blue Ribbon Flies video on: soft hackle tying tips w/ Craig Mathews. He shows a simple way to tie with longer hackle fibers. Don't go out and buy a new skin.

New skin with the head attached if you want smaller feathers. I personally don't like that method in the video. The fibers don't splay and stand out from the hook like when they are wrapped.

Back