What size hook do you tie/fish the most?

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

I thought it would be interesting to see the difference of personal choice of hook size varying from region to region & species to species. This is on the "average", bugs vary in size through the year I know but there's not always a hatch to match. Could be nymph or dry doesn't matter.

I'd have to say 12 months of the year mine is a 14. I just catch a lot of trout on that size fly.

14 early season and 16 later in the season.

eliminating streamers it would probably size 16 or 18

14's I think, tied three dozen Adams for the TU chapter, the most flies of a single pattern I've ever purposely tied. I often only tie 3 or 4 at a time to fill in an empty slot before heading out. So usually it's 16's for personal use on the water, ants, sulphurs, some caddis and brookie dries with some smaller BWO's mixed in as needed.

16 in summer, 18 & 20 other seasons .... not counting streamers & deer-hairs.

14 for realistic patterns, and 16 for most attractors. I think bigger attractor patterns just kind off look too odd.

Trout #16 Nymphs & Dries
#8 4xl Streamers,

smallmouth # 8 4xl
Saltwater #2/0
Salmon {Pacific} Lake Run =varies depending on pattern
Steelhead Lake Run= also varies with pattern

I would guess 14 most of the year. I use a 20 a lot in the summer and early fall.

Size 14 for most dries and size 8 for most of my streamers.

#14 - by far. That's the size I tie most of my quill gordon, hendrickson, grannom, sulpher, slate drake, and beetle patterns.

The next most used size would be #16, followed by #12

Over 50% of the trout I caught this year were on a size 14 fly.

In terms of sheer fly numbers - 18 for midge, hot spot, scud and serendipity nymphs.

Though I have many many more different types of nymphs n dries in 16.

Daiitchi 2220 #6 for streamers and Daiitchi 1120 #14 for eggs

I really have no idea other than general estimations (I've never kept track of hook purchases or flies tied).

I'd guess for trout, it's probably #14 nymph hooks; for bass, a #2 streamer hook; for salt, probably a #1 or 1/0 short shank with straight eye(?).

I could get by with only #14 dryfly hooks, but I don't try.

Back