What is your most effective caddis pupa that you tye?

Jeremi

Jeremi

Going to tye up some pupa. Looking for a fast tye. I fish fast tyes flies MUCH harder knowing that it only takes a few minutes to pump one out.

walts worm -

Do you tye them in any colors other than natural hares ear plus?

I use the Shark's Caddis pupa a lot now. Just green and tan. Twist the antron, wrap it up the shank, then peacock herl. looks good enough for me!

Cream dubbing 3/4 up hook finish with fox squirrel dubbing. You can use a bead or wrap with gold wire up to the fox squirrel dubbing. I have been catching a lot of fish on a local creek with this pattern and I think the fish are taking it for a caddis immatation.

I thought Sharks caddis and Walts worm were more larval imatative patterns??

MAy not be the easiest but here is the caddis i tie:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGeewYts9yY[/youtube]

Jeremi wrote:
I thought Sharks caddis and Walts worm were more larval imatative patterns??
Who knows what they imitate? The pupa is actually pretty similar until emergence (at least from a fast tying perspective). I really like the chunky caddis and tie several variants of it, but they are not really fast ties. Davy Mcphail has a nice video on this pattern if you are interested. If you want something more quick and dirty, just add a soft hackle to the Walts worm or sharks.

La'Fontaine sparkle pupa or deep pupas

bright green or cream antron/fur mix dubbing with peacock herl or dark dubbing for the head/thorax. You can add a rib for the larvae, or tease out the dubbing and add legs for the pupae if you want more detail.

LaFontaine sparkle and deep are always in my box. But lately I've fished something similar to gochs' choice. Twisted antrom yarn for body, ice dub head, and sometimes a wrap or two of partridge. Often times I skip the hackle and just brush out the dubbing.

peace-tony c.

Hares Ear soft hackle period doesn't get any easier than that

troutslammer wrote:
Hares Ear soft hackle period doesn't get any easier than that

^this. All I ever use for caddis pupae these days.

Here's mine (or something similar to this). I use tan or green abdomen.

Attachments

• caddis pupae.jpg
    caddis pupae.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 5
My pupa that I have been tying for years.

Attachments

• DSCN10740001.JPG
    DSCN10740001.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 5
This how I tye mine. I use colored stretch tubing insert coper colored altra wire wrap body up and herl coller behind the bead. and thats it. I tye em on a dia rikki 135 sz 12 to 16. I killed steelhead on this pattern in red black and dark green.

I really like the wire inside the tubing gonna give that one a go...

I know they will work.

SkyBlue wrote:
My pupa that I have been tying for years.

sweet pupa Sky. What material did you use for the thorax?

Back