What's the name of this tool

RCFetter

RCFetter

Does this tool have specific a name?

I'm guessing it's used to twist a dubbing loop but I don't understand why the wire hook part spins freely of the brass base. It's heavy enough to use as a paperweight.

Edit: I'm estimating it's at least 30 yrs old.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a small gaffe!

Cap'n Hook's right hand.

It's only 3.25 inches high and I forgot to ask if it's stocked or wild.

RCFetter wrote:
Does this tool have specific a name?

Yes.

RCFetter wrote:
I'm guessing it's used to twist a dubbing loop

How about "dubbing loop tool?" Or perhaps, "dubbing loop twister." Basically take the description and arrange the words in such a way that you find pleasing and descriptive. There, you've found its name.

RCFetter wrote:
but I don't understand why the wire hook part spins freely of the brass base. It's heavy enough to use as a paperweight.

Perhaps because..

RCFetter wrote:
Edit: I'm estimating it's at least 30 yrs old.

And whatever they once lodged it together with has failed or worn down as to no longer has the neccessary friction or solder?

I agree that it's used to twist a dubbing loop. Form thread loop. Insert dubbing, wool, whatever. Hang the tool at the bottom of the loop by the hook and give it a spin. I'm not sure why the hook would spin free of the base though without watching it in operation. Maybe it's broken?

Where did you find it? What makes you think it's a fly fishing tool?

poopdeck wrote:
Where did you find it? What makes you think it's a fly fishing tool?

I inherited from my uncle along with a complete set of tying tools about 20 yrs ago. At that time I just put the stuff in an empty tackle and never really examined the stuff until a few months ago.

The dubbing thing pictured above has a cork base that is identical to the cork base on the hair stackers in the set.

I'll post more pics of the stuff later today.

RCFetter wrote:
The dubbing thing pictured above has a cork base that is identical to the cork base on the hair stackers in the set.

Let me show you how that's used:
1459_534e7a010bb2f.jpg

By placing the cork on a convienent flat surface (I've used a blue table for this example) you'll find that it won't slide around.

its called a dubbing whirl ! used for twisting a dubbing loop.

Hold base, spin hook. Voila!

A few more tools from the set:

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 4
That looks like a very cool old set... enjoy it!

The top tool does the same thing, but keeps the thread separated as you're applying the dubbing. Once finished, allow the thread to slip to the right side, closest to the opening, and spin. I haven't seen one of those in 20 years.
The very bottom tool is a hair stacker.

1-- half hitch and dubbing twister
2 -- bobbin
3 -- legtool and hair packer
not that old they still sell them.

Pic 590 is one of my favorite bobbins.

Pic 591 is a Brassie hair packer - used to pack hair on the hook shank when spinning hair.

Also, the tool in 591 with the wire loop is an Edgin hair snare. Place a small bundle of hair in the loop, and slide the tool to tighten the loop. Holds bundles of hair tight, and allows you to tie it in place on the hook shank easily. Works really well for snowshoe rabbit fur.

Last I checked, these 3 tools were sold by Metz/Umpqua, and still available today.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Pic 590 is one of my favorite bobbins.

Last I checked, these 3 tools were sold by Metz/Umpqua, and still available today.

It is nice and about a month ago I ordered 1 from Cabela's on sale for $13.99. The regular price was listed at $22.99 but I don't think it's worth that much. I checked Cabela's today and it's no longer listed.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Also, the tool in 591 with the wire loop is an Edgin hair snare.

Well, isn't that a novel idea.

I can't quite figure out if its in the vein of the parachute tool: Useful til you know what you're doing and useless or if its like a Thompson Wing Former, utterly pointless after you're through with the novely.

Still, I'm kinda intrigued. Not $23 intrigued.

It's actually pretty useful. I use it all the time to hold snowshoe for wings. Sure you can do without it, but it's just easier and precise - provided you don't get nuts and cut the tungsten wire. :roll:

I actually have three of them. One I broke (and fixed), one I bought to replace it before I fixed the first one, and one Metz sent me for free when I inquired about buying a replacement wire.

We could work out a deal - say lunch and a hair snare for that bobbin I've been trying to get from you. ;-)

gfen wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:
Also, the tool in 591 with the wire loop is an Edgin hair snare.

Well, isn't that a novel idea.

I can't quite figure out if its in the vein of the parachute tool: Useful til you know what you're doing and useless or if its like a Thompson Wing Former, utterly pointless after you're through with the novely.

Still, I'm kinda intrigued. Not $23 intrigued.

The bobbin is $23.00. The hair snare I found on Amazon for $9.85.

Back