Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Want to Tie Some Very Light Fly Spinners

From Woodstock, MD
I want to tie a few spinners, complete with roatating blade. It can be a single hook or treble. The important thing is, it has to be light enough to cast with a fly rod (4 wt) and have space on the wire (or whatever the shaft is called) so I can tie some materials. Any suggestions on where to get parts? Anyone tying such things?

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:48

Re: Want to Tie Some Very Light Fly Spinners

From Lewistown, PA
Do you mean like a pistol Pete? If you're going to fish true spinning lure on a treble hook, you'd probably be better off with a spinning rod... You can get propeller blades for flies though. I have a couple pistol Petes that I bought from an online fly shop, but have yet to fish them.

I don't think I could bring myself to fish an actual spinning lure on a fly rod. Just seems wrong. I think I could fish a pistol Pete ironically, though...

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:54

Quote:

jeremymcon wrote:

I don't think I could bring myself to fish an actual spinning lure on a fly rod. Just seems wrong. I think I could fish a pistol Pete ironically, though...

As long as you're fishing them ironically, you're OK.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 12:03

From Norwich, CT
Quote:

Any suggestions on where to get parts?

GOOGLE 'lure making supplies" and search the results

Posted on: 2013/7/10 5:25

From Lehigh Valley
Cabelas has a pretty good selection of lure making supplies.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 7:20

Let's not get to hating - fly rod lures have an old and honorable (at least to me) history. Pistol Pete with a propeller blade and a bead for a bearing is seen more out West. I used to split a streamer hook to slip the clevis, blade and bead on and then splice hook back together. Learning wire bending allows you to make something like a Joe's Fly. Then there is the old clip on spinner for the front of the hook. Finally, splice a ring and blade on like a Roadrunner.

Old fly rod guys would use spinner type lures with a lot of mending to steer the lure under or around obstacles where fish would lie. It's something you can't do with spinning tackle and is effective. i.e., to get a good downstream cast along an undercut bank cast up and across from the bank with enough room to let the lure sink to the desired depth. Then do a monster downstream mend and the current will pull the lure right along the undercut.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 10:19

From Chester County
Gfen uses props, I believe. Maybe he will share some insight on assembly and fishing.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 10:24

Try Jann's netcraft - they have a bundh of lure making stuff - maybe what you're looking for.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 18:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com