Vise

S

ShearMadness

Why are vises so expensive? They are just glorified vice grips. I need a better vise but I think I will wait a bit.

Vises range from $20 to hundreds (in some instances thousands) of dollars. Surely you can find something in your budget.

I found one. The Renzetti traveler 2000 for $170. I will get it as soon as I get a little more bench time in. What I'm talking about are the ones that are $500. I don't see the difference in them.

If you're new to tying, I'd recommend tying on a number of different vises to get a feel for what you like/want. Also, talk to others and ask what they use, and why. You may discover a feature or drawback that you didn't realize. For instance, many people buy a true rotary, but never actually use that feature.

Fwiw, I don't like the jaw design that Renzetti and Peak have, but that's because I tie mostly small flies. If I tied a lot of streamers or used the rotary function, I would've kept the Peak I had.

As far as prices, most features/ styles are available near or below the $300 range. More than that, and I'd assume it's a vise for show, or something very collectible like a LAW vise.

lathes, milling machines, drill presses etc cost money to operate

wages, utilities, building rent, material supplies and inventory, insurance etc costs money

make one :)

159090d1382714602-beginner-fly-vise-beginningvise2-jpg

5689Vise3.jpg

photo5small.jpg

Back