Vise Upgrade

N

nomad_archer

I have been thinking about upgrading the el-cheapo kit vise I started with since I found the jaws to get in the way on any hooks smaller than 14-16. I plan tying down to size 22 midges and bass bugs in the summer and possibly tying musky flies sometime in the future. With the Columbus day sales happening, I have really started to look that these vises. Having limited experience though I find it difficult to judge features and quality. I have been looking at Peak and the renzetti traveler 2000 since they both come into my $150ish budget range depending on retailer and promotion. Does anyone have any experience with either of this vises and recommend one of the other? Should I be looking at any other vises at that price point?

Thanks in advance - nomad

I've been using a Peak that I bought used on the Swap forum for several years now. I really like it - and I tie a lot of flies, from midge flies to muskie flies. You can get a set of beefier jaws for big salt and muskie hooks, but I find I rarely use my extra jaws as the regular ones work so well.

The only drawback to the Peak, in my view, is that it has a rather short main vertical bar (or whatever the correct nomenclature is). Nevertheless, the height of the Peak vise seems to be typical of most vises these days.

+1 for the peak, BUT at your price point, I feel they are all good vises.

Good luck in your search!

J55tyger88 wrote:
+1 for the peak, BUT at your price point, I feel they are all good vises.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks. From what I have read else where it seems like it is tough to go wrong at this price point. I just don't want to be shopping for a new vise in a couple of years out of necessity.

I have been very happy with my Renzetti. An additional midge jaw is well worth the added cost.

After using several cheaper vises when I first learned to tie, I finally sprung for a regal. And am quite happy with it. Really have no desire to get anything better.
And at that time - about ten years ago now - it was right in your price range, $160

try everything you can BEFORE you buy

but....renzetti traveller

nfrechet wrote:
try everything you can BEFORE you buy

but....renzetti traveller

I would love to try them all before I buy but I don't have anywhere that has both that I can try.

So I am going to just have to read as much as I can and hope for the best. Although I am leaning towards the peak as the midge jaws and all of the other accessories seem to cost less then the similar accessory would be on the renzetti.

Buy the Peak !!!!!!!!

Nomad, if you're in the SEPA area, I'd gladly let you take my peak for a spin.

I might be down the Lancaster area, but not for another month. I'll gladly let you try my Renzeti if you are still in the market.

Thanks for the offers to try your vices. If I am still in the market I will certainly take you up on your offers when the time is right.

I have the Peak. I use the standard jaws most of the time, but do have the midge jaws as well. Both work great for tying the small flies. You can adjust the tension and get a nice firm hook hold but I rarely find myself using it. The rotary function works great too. I have been tying on this vise for the past 5 years and truly can't find on complaint.

I used a Peak for a few years, and it's a great vise. But, while midge jaws are available, I felt that my left hand was crowded by how the jaws sit. For midges, I prefer the HMH as I can fit my left hand behind the fly when tying in tails or shucks.

Stockard is having a sale on vises. I got a Regal with midge jaws.

I have only had experience with one of the vises you mentioned, the Renzetti Traveler. I used mine for ~15 years, with the only replacement I ever needed being an o-ring (cost was under $1). The vise was excellent, and I took it with me on most trips.

Mine was used for primarily trout patterns and some mid-sized striper flies. I have recommended the vise to others over the years (including my father-in-law), and believe it's a solid purchase.

Good luck with your decision, and be sure to let us know what you decide on,

Tim

I won't add to a particular vise since they all have their good and their bad and their fans and detractors.

I kept my AA vise for tying my saltwater stuff and only tie my small stuff on a griffin vise. those big hooks in those small jaws spelled wear and tear to me. I also use the AA as a drying rack while I'm tying up another.

I still havn't purchased a vise. I check out a traveler the other day at the shop and it seems like a nice vise but I am not 100% ready to jump at it. I still need to get to bass pro for cabelas to check out a peak and then decide from there.

Like tctrout above, I've used my Renzetti Traveler for 20 years now and it still does everything I ask it to do. BTW, I tie midges all the way up to Saltwater flies.

It looks like you have reviews from guys that like the Peak as well as the Traveler. Either one should meet your needs and expectations. Good move checking out both before buying.

Good luck.

I have been using the same Griffin "Montana Mongoose" I bought 12 years ago direct from the factory in Montana. Works great. I expect to get many more years out of it. You may want to consider checking out this vise. I tie flies on mine down to 26 but it should work to size 28. I just don't tie flies that small. Good luck in your search. WTT

Back