Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Utah Killer Bug pattern

Here's a simple and effective pattern I wanted to share with all, the Utah Killer Bug. A buddy of mine in State College fishes this pattern a lot with success, and he wanted me to share with all.

This pattern does not use the wire ribbing simply bc there doesn't seem to be a need for the pink in Pennsylvania; feel free to add a wire rib if wanting an additional color to shine through.

There is a specific brand & color of yarn used in the tying (Jamieson's Shetland yarn); if anyone has alternatives, let me know.

TC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJiB8Z_EPW8

Posted on: 12/1 8:39

Edited by tctrout on 2013/12/1 9:15:00
Edited by tctrout on 2013/12/1 9:15:27

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

Re: Utah Killer Bug pattern

From Philadelphia
Nice fly and video. Where you get the wool??

Eunan

Posted on: 12/1 9:52

Send me a pm with you addy and I'll send you a piece after I get out of the hospital around Wed or so.

Posted on: 12/1 10:02

From SE Pa.
Lou
What are you in the hospital for ?

Posted on: 12/1 10:14

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
HERNIA of the brain !!!
or something to that effect, might be on his butt though. I know he said hernia just can't remember where henry

Posted on: 12/2 11:19

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Thanks, Eunan; the material can be purchased a couple places and in some shops. I've emailed the company and they suggest the following online:

Yarn Barn (Virginia) - http://www.yarnbarn.com

Feral Knitter (California) - http://www.feralknitter.com

Schoolhouse Press (Wisconsin) - http://www.schoolhousepress.com

Hope this helps!

Tim

Posted on: 12/2 21:20

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

The fly on the upper right of the photo looks exactly like a beadhead Walt's Worm, which was originated by Walt Young when he was working at Flyfishers Paradise, sometime around the very early 1990s, or maybe even late 1980s. People in central PA have been using both the beaded and unbeaded Walt's Worm since that time with great success.

In my notes I found that I had a very good fishing trip using a beadhead Walts Worm as early as fall 1993, so Walt had come up with these some time, probably a few years, before that.

If you have some Hare's Ear fur you can tie that fly right now, without having to order the special yarn. For best effect, use a dubbing loop so the dubbing is really spiky. You can also pick out the dubbing with a needle for that spiky effect.

I don't think changing the name is justified, simply by changing the body material from Hares Ear to a yarn that looks like Hare's Ear. Give credit to the person who originated the fly. It's a Beadhead Walt's Worm.

Posted on: 12/3 8:27

From Philadelphia
THanks guys

i got some from yarn barn, enough to tie a million flies.

Looking forward to giving this one a swim before seasons end

Eunan

Posted on: 12/3 10:01

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
I don't think changing the name is justified, simply by changing the body material from Hares Ear to a yarn that looks like Hare's Ear. Give credit to the person who originated the fly.

Well, if you insist....

The Utah Killer bug is a variation of Frank Sawyer's Killer bug.

Frank Sawyer - as in originator of the pheasant tail nymph.

Frank Sawyer came up with the Killer Bug in the 1930's.

I believe the original yarn for the Killer Bug was Chadwick's #477.

Here's a brief article on it. LINK.

Posted on: 12/3 10:49

From SEPA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
I believe the original yarn for the Killer Nymph was Chadwick's #477.

Correct. Its also long out of manufacturing, however there's several people who claim to have a direct replacement.

If you delve into the sorts of forums filled with jackholes who argue the merits of a 1940's embroidery yarn vs modern versions, you'll find numerous people who claim that Chadwick has some sort of magic, unequaled quality that nothign else can come close to.

I suspect that's simply because they have untouched cards of the stuff they move on ebay.

I actually assumed this was simply a Johnny Utahesque post where someone changes a material to something different, then renames the fly with their own name so as to grasp for all the glory being a celebrity fly tier involves, but didn't weigh in so as to not always be that guy.

FWIW, the Sawyer Bug was also tied with wire, not thread, like the original PT nymph.

Posted on: 12/3 10:57

Okay, then the fly shown in the video is the Sawyer Killer Bug. And the beadhead Sawyer Killer Bug.

Sawyer used yarn X (which is no longer made.) This guy uses yarn Y, chosen to look as much like yarn X as possible.

That's the creation of a new pattern?

Posted on: 12/3 11:50

From SEPA

As much as I hate people who change a material and then stick their name on a fly in hopes of getting phat stacks of cash and big booty chicks, this is almost a circumstance when its acceptable.

The Sawyer killer bug is a well known fly using Chadwick 477 and copper winding wire. This is a bastardized version using thread and a sub due to the fact that the bonafide material is no longer made. Reasonably, it can't be a "Sawyer Killer Bug" because its not. But it can be a "killer bug" because it is a direct line to it.

Furthermore, best as I can figure out its a nice, anonymous, regional name and not something along the lines of D. Frank's Steelhead Wonderkiller, so who can really complain?

Anyways, you should see "fen's worm." The fly, not the WMD of I keep hidden in my waders, that is. "Fen's worm" is just like a Walt's Worm except I use a antron blend and _yellow_ thread. Feel free to tie that up, just put my name on it. Its my fly. Totally changed it and own it. Copyrights.

Posted on: 12/3 12:14

From State College
Quote:
Troutbert wrote: Okay, then the fly shown in the video is the Sawyer Killer Bug. And the beadhead Sawyer Killer Bug.

Sawyer used yarn X (which is no longer made.) This guy uses yarn Y, chosen to look as much like yarn X as possible.

That's the creation of a new pattern?

I think dubbed fur noodles as a fly has been around as nymph fishing has been around.

Posted on: 12/3 12:59

From Pittsburgh
@sasha, You know how I feel about copyrights.

Posted on: 12/3 13:02

From SEPA
Quote:

turkey wrote:
@sasha, You know how I feel about copyrights.

I've built my entire Amazon reviews empire around pictures of your porch table.

Posted on: 12/3 13:45

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com