Upper D tiny blue-winged olive (Pseudocloeon) patterns

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

Good morning all,

Would anyone be willing to share, publicly or privately, their go-to tiny blue-winged olive (Pseudocloeon) ties? I plan on fishing the Jam next weekend and would like to tie up a bunch.

I know these critters are very small, but the trout have seen them for quite a while this year and the trout get a lot of angling pressure. Those things, and the ton of bugs in general, make those trout very picky.

Thanks!

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Good morning all,

Would anyone be willing to share, publicly or privately, their go-to tiny blue-winged olive (Pseudocloeon) ties? I plan on fishing the Jam next weekend and would like to tie up a bunch.

I know these critters are very small, but the trout have seen them for quite a while this year and the trout get a lot of angling pressure. Those things, and the ton of bugs in general, make those trout very picky.

Thanks!

The D River is roaring, but you are very optimistic about it being at a level to fish size 24 Pseudos. Good stuff!!

Here is a great article by Al Caucci about BWOs incuding Psuedos on the Upper D >http://www.mayfly.com/articles/97JACaucci.htm

They are small bugs > 22 - 26. I've tied parachutes with a dun poly yarn wing, dun hackle and olive thread body. But found a CDC comparadun with a thread body and fibbets or stiff hackle tail easiest to tie and effective as Caucci recommends. Here is a link to tying a CDC parachute ( I like to tie a pseudo in size 22-26 with a medium olive thread body, medium dun wing and tails > check out the pic of the bug below)

Good luck Jammin'!

Attachments

• D River Pseudo.jpg
    D River Pseudo.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks, Afish. I know I can tie that DCD Comparadun so that's a great suggestion. I don't have much hackle that would be the right size for smaller than #20.

Yes, I am an optimist. However, luck favors the prepared, no? ;)

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Thanks, Afish. I know I can tie that DCD Comparadun so that's a great suggestion. I don't have much hackle that would be the right size for smaller than #20.

Yes, I am an optimist. However, luck favors the prepared, no? ;)

Comparaduns work great and no need to find tiny hackle and try to wind tiny hackle on a fly.

Just match the size as well as general shape and color and have at it. No secret fly patterns. The real secret to success is.......................not spooking the fish and making a good presentation.

Here's another vote for CDC for these sorts of patterns.

I fish the Delaware quite often and I use the easiest pattern to tie for psuedos. All it is is a olive thread body, and a small dun cdc feather. And if they are eating psuedos, they will eat this pattern. No tail. They dont mind when the fly is thay small. And no need for hackle either. Thread and cdc. This fish, around 22” ate a size 22 olive described like the fly above. This was about a month ago.

Attachments

• 6190ECB4-94D0-4DBF-8627-79FE35305DFE.jpeg
    6190ECB4-94D0-4DBF-8627-79FE35305DFE.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 21
I go with just hackle flies most often. Olive thread, a few dun tail fibers, and a dun hackle. Never leave home without a spinner version which is the same with rusty dun thread and grizzly hackle. For 22 and below for duns and 20 and below for spinners I do without the tail. I think part of why I like the full hackle flies is that I can see them better, and keeping track of the fly is a big part of fishing small flies IMHO. Hackled flies take more abuse in my mind as well.

I tie the simple CDC ones as well, because some days that is what they want. Simpler the better.

Cool! Thanks to all for these suggestions. They are very helpful.

Harrops last chance cripple is an awesome pattern. I tie them down to 24. Its all I could get the picky *** trout in the mud flats to eat last weekend. They didn't want a thing to do with the simpler BWO patterns. Didn't want to touch an ISO or Hebe either, even though there were some on the water. Not saying the simpler patterns dont work....They sure as hell do...but this is a good last resort fly for picky fish.

If you dont have the stuff to tie the last chance cripples, see if the Jam "host" has any. Hes a fan of Harrops patterns. Im sure some of the shops will have some too.

If I make it up on Sunday I'll give you a couple. But its not looking like a good weekend for me.

ps: I doubt you'll be on the west branch but I had tons of targets last weekend around 2000 cfs with not terrific clarity. Just gotta look in the right places.

This is the fly Whitetail Outfitters recommended for the baetis hatch earlier this year.

Preferring a cripple over an emerger and larger bugs is just the kind of thing UDR trout would do to drive anglers nuts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you can make it up on Sunday.

Flyswatter,

As Chris mentioned, that Harrops last chance cripple is fantastic. I just can't see to tie them. Between DaveS, myself and Morgan....well probably have 200-300 tiny olives and you're welcome to some (I can't even see the tie them on). If you want to get killer patterns, cross the bridge at Hankins, 97 south for a mile, bust a left on 94 and head 12-15 miles into Roscoe. See Dennis at Catskill Flies. He's got a bunch of different tread bodied CDC, hackle and hair style comparaduns / cripples. Back up plan....jump into whitetail shop at Shehawken and grab 3-5 flies that look good.

Having ISO, steno and caddis patterns is more important IMHO. I subscribe to the method of 'give me a cheeseburger and a crowbar, they'll eat it"

Forget the tiny bwos and tie some isos.

For the small bwos I use 20 or 22s tmc 100s and just tie small comparaduns. I fished with a size 22 for about 5 minutes last weekend and broke off a big trout then fished isos the rest of the time and did well.

Haha, that sounds about right. Given half a choice, I will stick with the bigger bugs.

I tie them without any hackle. Tiemco, or any good dry fly hook, #22- #24. Tail a few stiff medium dun hackle barbules, body olive beaver, wing dark dun CDC tips tied slanting down. Simple fly that takes fish.

Long time lurker, this topic is very timely. The Pseudocloeon/Acentrella hatch has confounded me for many years on the Delaware. Has anyone tried Hackle Stacker designs? How does hackle quill or Caucci Nastasi blend compare to thread abdomen? Great thread discussion. Much appreciated.....

Back