Tying music

David

David

So what music style do you use to tie flies? I find I use different styles depending on how many I am going to tie. For my recent ties I've used these CDs:

Short time - only sitting down to do a couple flies - I've been using some harder music like Naked Raygun's "Jettison", The Sisters of Mercy's "Vision Thing", and old Midnight Oil's "Red Sails in the Sunset

For filling my boxes one section at a time (8-10 flies) I've been playing more of my "old standby" music from my college years - The Church, Love & Rockets, REM, etc.

For my lengthy times - which have been the majority of the time recently with the swap, loosing the fantasy football league, and tying an entire box for a charity auction, I have been using some classical music and musical soundtracks... In particular Mozart 12 and 21 (Elvira Madigan and Radu Lupu). I certainly am not a classical aficionado, but I do enjoy both of these. Also I have been wearing out my Les Miserable soundtrack...THE best musical, period, in my opinion. When I have to get into that tying "groove" these seem to let me focus the best.

Slightly stoopid, NOFX, sublime, the low life, and some metal here and there. As long as it's jam or punk, I usually like it.

If I'm in for a long session, I'll just start the smashing pumpkins discography.

I haven't tied in a while, but that's what I listen to when I do. As soon as I can use my arm well, I'll be back at it.

I'm an Old Guy and Listen to Taped Xpn Echoes , Country, Blues and 60's Rock. when Tying and find it to be quite relaxing usually ty and listen daily for an hour or 2 before bed.

I like it quiet.

Usually i pop in one of the first two Trou Bum Diaries Ddvds in the background.

Sometimes i listen to hard rock music

Sometimes i listend to a podcast - may or may not be fly fishing related.

Sometimes i listen to nothing.

Usually the satelite set on the dead channel works for me. I catch myself switching channels to much if I have the controller there so it is best leaving one station for me.

I like to listen to oldtime radio shows on the web. preatty good stuff. Even the commercials...otherwise just about anything except rap-crap

My tying music:

1) Steely Dan, particularly the Katy Lied album/CD

2) Chet Atkins. The "Guitar Country" album (1964) is best for dry flies and "Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles" (1968?) is best for nymphs and wets.

3) Procol Harem - The "Salty Dog" CD with it's sweeping classical-based arrangements, particularly of the title cut and another called "Pilgrim's Progress", is excellent for larger trout streamerss and smallmouth flies.

4) The Flying Burrito Brothers - "Gilded Palace of Sin" is good all around tying music as is any of the Gram Parsons or Chris Hillman solo efforts or Hillman's work with Herb Pedersen and the Rice Brothers.

5) Speed tying is best done to Clarence White's "33 Flatpick Instrumentals".

You should never tie flies to Zimmerman/Dylan, unless it is a Dylan composition being covered by another artist. Hooks exposed to Dylan's voice lose their temper and become brittle...

I hesitate to see Jack's fly box then. Between the dylan corrosion and the fact that he found all of them streamside, they can't be sharp.

"Hooks exposed to Dylan's voice lose their temper and become brittle..." (RleeP) LOL thats just funny.

In general I don't in everyday life listen to music. I read In one of Gierach's books that he listens to jazz when tying though and gave it a try. I liked it and for the past 2 years thats what i listen to when tying. KCSM out of San Mateo california has good variety, is commercial free, and just plain free online, so that's what I cue up.

keep in mind that im 15 years old, and im usually the emo/alternative sort of guy. For some reason that stuff doesn't appeal to me as tying music, but some of the best tying music i can recommend is pink floyd. its mind boggling simplicity, lengthiness, and just not too much at once which is what i like about them. perfect for long tying sessions.

dave1432 wrote:
keep in mind that im 15 years old, and im usually the emo/alternative sort of guy. For some reason that stuff doesn't appeal to me as tying music, but some of the best tying music i can recommend is pink floyd. its mind boggling simplicity, lengthiness, and just not too much at once which is what i like about them. perfect for long tying sessions.

I agree. Floyd, as well as Tool, Radiohead, and even some ambient techno like Aphex Twin and Daft Punk do get the creativity flowing.

I listen to the local country music station.so what ever they are playing is what I am listening to.

Get Son Volt's album Trace. I stumbled back across it last night.

Wow is it good.

i can agree with dave and jay pink floyd, radiohead, but im more of an old school metal kind of preson i listen to alot of metlica,pantera,and iron maiden but also like stuff like daylan and even better warren zevon

I usualy start off with Hank Jr's, "America" ,then finish up with Floyds "Delicate Sounds of Thunder. "

The voices in my head are all I need! :-? I like Floyd or a podcast about fishing. Though I have been prone to listen the the "movie's" soundtrack from time to time.

JH

I am really not into classical music but really got into Shostakovich. In particular his war symphonies- I can visualize the tanks roaring into Stalingrad in his compositions. Very powerful music.

Old country- like Merle, Cash
Classics- like The Band, Dead
Van Halen- Little Guitars,Atomic Punk,Cathedral,Unchained
Newer- Gomez

Cool just wondering guys, what are your favorite floyd albums?

Back