Tying for the Youth Camp - Donations Sought

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
The Rivers Conservation and Fly Fishing Youth Camp is planned for 2021 (the number of students has been reduced to facilitate social distancing). This is the premiere conservation and fly fishing based youth camp in the state and has been sponsored for many years by Cumberland Valley TU.

As per the past, the camp is soliciting flies for the teenage students. We ask for two dozen of the same pattern tied on the same size hook (you will donate the hooks and materials). The flies would need to be completed and in the mail by the end of May.

If you would like to contribute, let me know via PM and I'll get you my mailing address.

Thanks,
Dave W.

That is a nice thing you're doing for the campers. I'd volunteer but so far every fly I tie is vastly different. Some year.

What kind of flies would you like?

I would like to contribute 2 dozen size 14 gold ribbed hear ears beaded nymphs. I know I'm not the greatest tier slow but steady but these have caught trout for me. I don't know if this is a PM or not.

Please see my post. I'll need a post address at some point thanks. This forum has been a real help in the last few years!

bjh09 wrote:
Please see my post. I'll need a post address at some point thanks. This forum has been a real help in the last few years!

Please check your PM...

Hi Dave, I'd like to do 24 Zebra Midges, black body with silver ribbing and bead head. Is size 14 Ok?

RCFetter wrote:
Hi Dave, I'd like to do 24 Zebra Midges, black body with silver ribbing and bead head. Is size 14 Ok?

That would be great.
Please check your PM...

Would you like Stewart’s black spiders,peacock and starling or some other soft hackles?
Or would you rather have modern flies like SWJ’s or IPW’s ?

Please pm me an address,thank you

Maybe I should stick to dries ,since it’s beginners?

shakey wrote:
Maybe I should stick to dries ,since it’s beginners?

It's up to you.

The kids need basic, bread and butter trout flies. For what it is worth, they will be fishing for stocked trout on Yellow Breeches in June.

Traditional wet fly patterns are a good choice (as I'm sure you'd agree) :)
Please check your PM...

Dave, I'd like to try to do 2 dozen PTN's if that's ok.

Thank you.

Dave, I have an old vise. Is that something the campers can use?

All,
I have rec'd several offers for equipment and other gear. While this is appreciated, I'm only soliciting trout flies in this thread.
Thanks,
Dave

If someone were to tye more than two dozen, would you prefer multiples of 24 of the same fly? Or, different patterns?

shakey wrote:
If someone were to tye more than two dozen, would you prefer multiples of 24 of the same fly? Or, different patterns?

24 of the same fly please.

shakey wrote:

I rec'd your flies today - thanks!
DW

After observing paflyfish.com for several years, I finally joined today. My son will be attending this camp in June so a huge THANK YOU to all of you tying flies for the camp!

Hi Tale,
Welcome to our online FF community - we're glad to have you!

Best wishes to your son at the youth camp. I'm a volunteer at the camp. We have had some alumni of the youth camp as regular participants in this forum over the years. It was at the camp that they got their start in FFing and cold water conservation.

Back