Tying for my Dad

PatriotFly26

PatriotFly26

Alright, I'll admit it. I'm a young pup on this board. I have been tying for I'd say....7-8 years? Well. Just these past 2 years I got my Dad back into fly fishing. So, I've been tying for myself, and some for him, and the response I alwas get is....BIGGER EYES! I can't tie these damn things on, I can barely see the fly and you want me to tie that on....

Someone have some good dry patterns that don't look outrageous on size 6, or 8? I have been tying pretty generic flies bigger now, but are there any dries that really stick out that you crazy cats know of? Thanks guys. Fish On!

~Hugh

well, you could always buy big eye hooks. I think they are either from cabelas or orvis.

Try this: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_showcase3.aspx?dir_id=1273&group_id=1274&cat_id=5207&subcat_id=6166

Edit: Just remebered, I guess you could try a wooly worm dry? Or try tying Madam X's, PMX's, or Hoppers. Or tell him to fish nymphs.

That is the reason I finely realized I needed bifocals and not because the cheapskate hook companies were making the hook eyes smaller.lol
Dan Baileys or any of the western fly companies will have dry patterns as large as 2s.You can get ideas from them but they would be more for small mouths in the east.Or nite fishing for big trout.

You can always loop mono out in front of the fly like they do for those night-time flies...easy to tie on.

Or just buy him a midge threader and stack his flies up.

They also make those magnifiers that clip to his hat.

I'm no young pup myself any more and get 90 percent of my fly taken by my Dad and his friends when we fish. Have your Dad use a bobbin threader and put the threader through the eye of the hook that will give him a bigger target to put the tippet through. I use a bobbin threader that has thin wire and and can thread midges (22's), low light just kicks my tail.

Joe E

I just bought my Dad something like this. He's diggin it.

http://hookthreader.com/store/

Back