Tying Table Question

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I have a nice tying "office". Real nice but soon to be gone when we move. But the table is going with me. My question is about the color of the table surface. I read that light blue is the best background for the eyes. Mine is bright white. It's great for seeing hooks and such on the table but I was thinking of painting it light blue. Anyone have conventional wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Gene - This is the ticket.

You can get different color paper and attach it with one of those black paper clamps. Gives the best contrast for whatever color you're working with. This also works great if you want to take macro shots of flies.

If you're creative, you could make one yourself for next to nothing....

I use a Profile plate kinda sorts like the one in the link...Except mine mounts right to the table/workstation it has a green side and white side, both work out great!!!!

A few good ideas here for an inexpensive background plate: http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2012/02/background-for-fly-tying-fly.html
I have been meaning to try something like this myself. I never used a background before, but as my eyes age I'm starting to notice that some materials are close to invisible.

FrequentTyer wrote:
A few good ideas here for an inexpensive background plate: http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2012/02/background-for-fly-tying-fly.html
I have been meaning to try something like this myself. I never used a background before, but as my eyes age I'm starting to notice that some materials are close to invisible.

Interesting site you posted. Thanks for that.
I started to use a plate this year and it really shows the details of the small flies I tie.
I use a chip clip and some different colored felt for my backgrounds.

I love Normand's blog. If you ever get some time, take an hour and read through all his posts. He has some beautiful flies, and some great innovative ideas for fly tying tricks and materials.

I attached posterboard to mine: light green.

Back