Tying Kits

thedude1534

thedude1534

I've been fishing for about a year and want to start getting into tying. Are there any good starter kits out there that include everything you'd need (tools, material, hooks, vice, assortments of feathers and fur, etc). I'm mainly interested in tying mayflies, terrestrials, and nymphs.

Also, any good instructional books or DVD's on how to tie loads of patterns?

You should probably steer clear of the Rumph kit I bout for the following reasons.

1. It does not include a whip finisher or hair stacker. Ignore anyone who says you should try to get by without a whip finisher.

2. The deer hair and bucktail smell really, really bad. I've bought deer hair from two other companies, both or which smell fine.

3. Almost all of the hackle feathers are way to big to tie usable dries.

On the other hand, the kit only costs about $60, which leaves you with money to supplement its shortcomings.

I like Skip Morris's "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple," although it largely ignores terrestrials. Before you buy any books, check out http://www.tie1on.net/

My wife got me a kit for Christmas this past year from Cabela's. (yeah she's awesome!) she didn't realize that Cabela's is about 2 hours from home until she got there lol. Anyways, don't know how much it cost but it came with everything I needed to start. Vise, small tying guide, hooks, thread, wire, lead wrap, bobbin, whip finish, scissors, bead heads, stretch tubing, feathers (hackle, marabou, peacock, pheasant tail, etc...) dubbing, head cement, and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. I love it. I've used up almost all my hooks cause I'm too poor to buy any more at the moment (yeah thats pretty bad), but it's given me all the materials I need to start out. You're always going to want more; more variety, more tools, more this, more that. But my kit has served me well and I'll just keep adding to it as I get more addicted to the sport. Good Luck and have fun with it. Tying takes a while and if you're not having fun with it then you might as well go out and buy your flies. just my 2 cents.

p.s. A video might be good to start out. But with the internet and this board, you can figure out just about anything. There's video's and tying instructions all over the net and these guys have helped me with all my problems. Just start tying and when you hit a speedbump, just ask someone on here. Thats what everyone's on here for.

video`s are great and there are many out there, but if ya get a chance take a tying course, you just can`t beat having someone watching and helping

I would stay away from a kit. They usually contain a lot of stuff you don't really need. Pick yourself up an inexpensive vise. Scissors can be brought at a craft store. A bodkin can be made with a needle and a wine cork. I would start with a half hitch tool rather than the whip finisher. Clear Nail polish can be used as head cement. One thing that is often suggested is to decide what you want to tie and buy just the materials for that particular pattern, when you get it down move on to another another pattern and buy the materials for that. Pretty soon you'll have a decent supply of hooks and materials. It won't seem to hurt the wallet as much.
Videos are nice, but it might be worth spending the money on a tying class. Check your local fly shop, TU, even the local high school's list of evening classes. It's much better to get hands on instruction if you can afford it.

Dude search away on ebay... the only thing I would say is don't skimp on is scissors. Learning to do this can be hard nough...nothing worse than dull scissors.

With my Christmas bonus, I went and bought the Traveling Kit (you can get the kit either at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop). They are approximately $40-50. I then wnet and bought the materials to start tying woolie buggers, PT and hare's Ear nymphs.

The traveling kit comes with almost all the tools you will need to tie (except for a hair stacker).

The dude1534, I sent you a PM on this. In my opinion, don't skimp on scissors, bobbins,vises, or hackles. I used to tie years ago in the 70's and got away from it for some unknown reason. Probably growing up and fly tying wasn't cool any more but motorcycles and chicks were. Sounds plausable for me. At any rate, I started tying again recently and started fresh with a kit from Cabellas. If you go to their store they have several different ones mounted on the wall so you can actually see what is in them. I upgraded my tools to Dr Slick scissors and bobbins cause I like their stuff. I also upgraded to a Renzetti travelers vise and cann't say enough good things about it. I have a two volume set of loose leaf tying manuals from Orvis from God knows when. In the back of the one is a set of instuctions and some flies to tie that will get you familiar with all the different techniques. Yoiu can visit youtube.com and check for videos on how to use things like whip finnishers and other tools. The videos make more sense than any written instructions I have seen and are free.

Not much to add. Kits are good ( Cabela's is fine) because just about everything is there. On the other hand, you really will want to have a good pair of scissors. I have three, curved, straight & micro. Sharp scissors are a must.

Someone above mentioned buying materials to tie Gold ribbed Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail and Woolybuggers. That's good advice as the techniques you'll learn there can be applied universally.

Someone else mentioned classes. I learned from books but think if classes are available that's your best bet. Besides, you'll certainly meet some nice people.

Beyond that, go slow, have fun, and let out a big whoop when you catch a fish on a fly you've tied yourself.

Coughlin

http://www.whiteclayff.proboards75.com/index.cgi
Check these guys out, they get together every Thursday night to tie. They have regular outings on the stream as well, all for $25.00 a year. I joined this year and got 7 weeks of lessons including two nights from a registered casting instructor who is a member. And what I have learned from them I could not have paid for. Their advice was to stay away from the kit, buy the best you can afford.
They have materials and tools to borrow on thursday nights, they even lent me a different vice each week while I made my mind up on what to buy. I even got a loaner for a month from a local store owner. Nothing beats hands on help. There is also a fly swap at their monthly meeting.

Personally I would not buy a kit. Go buy your tools separately then buy only the material of the flies you want to tie. In the long run you’ll have better tools and no junk (feathers and fur around). Only one book IMO you’ll ever need The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference.

Joe E

I have that book...its big, its expensive and its really great...If I was just starting out I would go for something like THIS BOOK...I saw it a B&N last night. Its very easy to see, and the patterns are simple and useful. Sure there are a lot of patterns in it it I would probably never tie...(like the atlantic salmon flies) but there are a lot more that are the ones you need. Take a look at it in the book store. Once you've gotten pretty good, the Tyers Benchside Reference will be even more valuable to you.

I actually got my stuff a few weeks ago. I did not get a kit, but instead got the Renzetti travelers vice, a Dr. Slick tools set, and then just bought all the materials I needed for a few recipies. So far I've tied a lot of assorted midges, some hares ears, pheasant tails, griffiths gnats, adams, and am starting on Caddis.

So far I've cought a whole bunch of fish on the hares ears I've been tying. They have a dark beadhead (not the flashy gold kind, these ones look more dark grey/black) and rubber legs.

whats nice is you can just tie that hares ear in different colors and sizes and hand have just about every nymph anywhere covered. Learn a basic dry mayfly (like an adams) and adjust the colors to what you need too. I tie my lighter caddis with elk hair type wings and my darker caddis with tent style wings....again, adjust the color and to what you see on stream and you'll be set. Sounds like you're on your way...have fun.

Back