Tying Cockpit

sundrunk

sundrunk

For a quick minute I thought I had an original idea. The steering wheel, clip on, tying table. A table or plateform that attaches on your steering wheel. I may just try making one out of scrap wood...

-Thoughts

SD,

I have experience tying in the car.....

I use a "breakfast in bed" type tray when I tie in the car. Sometimes I am required to sit in the car and observe traffic movements at intersections. Sometimes these intersections are on back roads and for three hours at a time I may only see a couple dozen cars.

Anyway, rather than read magazines, books or balance my checkbook, I tie flies. I put my pedistal vice, hook box and tool caddy all on the tray. (along with Jamar). I keep my materials organized in a sturdy shoebox between the front seats.

This is actually the most comfortable tying station I have EVER sat at.

I will admit that I keep my tying in the car to easy ties. (weenies, sucker spawn, wooly buggers, nymphs, comparaduns, etc.) I tie a doxen at a time of each pattern and put them in my Plano re-stock box. I can do anywhere from 8-12 /hr and still fulfill my duty to the job.

Oh and I do this in the passenger seat. I would imagine doing it in the drivers seat would be ucomfortable and cramped.

Thats a good idea Maurice.

As for getting cramped, I guess it really depends on the car and the driver seat.

Tying stream side has its advantages. I've got this butterfly net i use to get samples with.

I have seen a guy tie in his front seat at the LLH on occasion! Might not be an original idea, but at least you know it is a good one.

in the 70's on the LLH everyone tied in their car it seemed, i ahd a set up in the van in back with a drop table light and all
vans are good for more than:

:-D if its rockin dont come knockin.. :-D

I did exactly what Maurice does, without the tray. I kept it simple and tied only a few flies at a time. The tray would make it easier in a car, as I tied in a truck that had a big center consol that I used as a side bench. On overcast days, I had a reading light for the some added light. The kind that plugged in to the cig. lighter.

I actully did most of my tying in that truck, now I tie on my lunch break and have a little desk set-up. I have more room now and can tie a little more complicated flies, but that truck was pretty damn comfortable!!! No one nagged me and the music was always loud!! :lol:

JH

Sandfly,

The Seventys must have been good!

Crank it up flyfishermanj.

Thats a good idea i drive an hour to work and 45 min. of that is the turnpike its a straight shot..........just kidding. so i'm from pittston and i have fished just about every stream, creek, and parts of the Susky in luzerne,lackawanna, and wyoming counties. now i'm workin out of my home and have to report to the agency every friday for the next two years at 9 o'clock. i think it is a waist of my time been it takes me a hour to get there and i am only there for an hour +/-. so usually i am free by 10. can any one point me in the direction of natives. i have never caught a wild trout only stockies and lots they say everything is better with natives Fight,color,taste etc. so from pittston to allentown off 476 i am free and probaly 60 min from 476 and allentown. ( this post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.)

I would have left the appeal of enhanced "taste" off on a post asking where you can fish for natives. People do not like to share these streams freely even when they have confidence that the reader is a catch and release angler. I have no problem with you or anyone else enjoying a succulent brookie or two, but I think you have ruined your chance at anything valuable in response.

yea-who wrote:
Thats a good idea i drive an hour to work and 45 min. of that is the turnpike its a straight shot..........just kidding.

Don't give anybody any ideas!!! People are already talking on the cellphone with one hand and eating a cheeseburger with the other while driving. They might figure, what the heck, got the cruise control set at 75, might was well tie up a few Wooly-Buggers to pass the time... Arrrggggghhhh!!!

its not like i would limit out on natives i would like to see the difference between the two. i'm a meat kind of guy. fish is good once or twice a year in my book. tell me ab out thing you can do while driving last friday on the pike there pike there was a car in front of me and i thought they where still drunk from the night before in front of me so i tried to careful pass them it was not easy with there speed changin and swerving. so when i got along side of them i happened to look over and well there was a lady on the phone, with a book opened in here hand on the wheel, laptop on the center console open typing with the other, and her make-up was on the dash board. that is ridiculous. i am basiclly a catch and release fisher man unless i catch a couple good size panfish in a row than i will start keepin them. and mabe 3 good size stockies 2 for ma and one for me. i tell her i never catch anything when i go because she will yell at me for not keepin them, because she wants to eat them. She is very old school. and i would rather not explain to her why we don't keep them it easier to tell her i didn't catch anything. as for leaving out the taste part i didn't think anyone would take offense to that just about every book i have read about trout that compairs the to say natives have a more salmony taste and is pinkish in color not white like the stockies. they even compaired the 2 in culinary school between farm raised and wild. sorry i understand that there are not many out there and you defeat the whole purpose by takin them but stockin is not the answer either, those fish take up habit, eat food for the wild ones. they search for water that is the same as what they where raised in which probaly would not be found yea you can say they have limestone and freestone hatcheries but PH, water temp, and water levels are new to them. Sorry if i offend anyone in any of my prior Posts. So far in everyone of my post someone found something negative. I never heard of Didymo, so what if i eat 1 or 2 fish a year from a lake, i'm not going to smash my brand new F-150 for a frigin fly, so far i have gotten more negative than positive from you people.

yea who,
don't take what was said too seriously. Although, I think most of us don't keep fish, especially wild ones. I would also think that everyone on this board is okay with you taking stocked fish.
The problem is that there are people, believe it or not, that come here with the main goal of finding out other's favorite "secret" wild trout streams because they are too lazy to find there own. Then they clean out the fish in the creek only to be wrapped in foil and shoved to the back of the freezer. A lot of people take offense to new guys on the forum how start asking questions about wild fish, especially with the intent to consume.

If you want to know the difference between stocked and wild. Wild's flesh is more salmon like, like coho or sockeye.
If you want to taste it, catch a stockie who has been in the water for some time, we'll say catch in sept. but was stocked in march. The meat should have been transformed by then.
I personally would kill that fish, because of its ability to survive and possible spawn and create wild trout, but it is definately better than taking a wild fish (in my oppinion).

troutbert wrote:
yea-who wrote:
Thats a good idea i drive an hour to work and 45 min. of that is the turnpike its a straight shot..........just kidding.

Don't give anybody any ideas!!! People are already talking on the cellphone with one hand and eating a cheeseburger with the other while driving. They might figure, what the heck, got the cruise control set at 75, might was well tie up a few Wooly-Buggers to pass the time... Arrrggggghhhh!!!

I keep having this mental image of where the hooks go when you drop em. Especially a large streamer hook.

I was not suggesting you offended anyone and made it clear I couldn't care less if you kept a few wild trout for consumption. What I was doing is letting you know that when requesting information on wild trout streams it is best not to imply your desire to keep the trout, otherwise, as is clear (to me at least) from the lack of information you received, you are unlikely to get any information.

I apologize for trying to help. If you want to travel to southwestern Pennsylvania, I'd be happy to point you to 4-5 streams with native brook trout where you can keep your limit if you care to do so. You will need to wait until the regular season, however, as there is no harvest permitted on unstocked waters between Labor Day and Opening Day.

Sundrunk,
yea it was great..had a few custom vans, muscle cars and bikes..real hippie/moorhead/biker...lol of course some of it is a blur.........lol :-D :lol:

Tell the truth Sandy your mother dropped you on your head one too many times !!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

mother....i thought i was found in roswell, with a test tube in my hand....dang...........and here i thought i was always from way out there.........

thanks henry.......now im really confused.. :-? :-? :lol:

All the wild ones i have seen caught are as big as my hand not legal. i know where there are natives around here but not every where i leave them a lone i might go to those places once a year till the fishin gets better. they stock fish in some of those places the places they stock might see me more than once a year. i know it is wrong to take a wild fish and it would be better if i didn't i probbaly won't. and when i do eat fish i never freeze them i eat them that day or the next. thats if i keep them. i rather red F'in meat.

yea-who wrote:
All the wild ones i have seen caught are as big as my hand not legal.

i know it is wrong to take a wild fish and it would be better if i didn't i probbaly won't.

You can't keep fish from any water other then ATWs now anyway...

So what does it matter if the wild fish are legal? Legal to what? Fish for?...A lot of us actually go out knowing we'll be catching 6 inch fish...Most (I say Most) people who flyfish with the intention of catching wild fish have no intention of harvesting them...

Back