Tying Beginner

fly_flinger

fly_flinger

I'm interested in trying the tying thing again. I took classes almost 15 years ago now and only tied for a few months after the classes ended. I quickly lost interest because I didn't really fly fish that much then. Well, I do now and it's getting to be an expensive habit and I figured I could help that by tying my own flies. I'm going to ask Santa for a vise this year but don't know what to tell her. So, what advise can you guys give me when looking for a good vise that will not cost a fortune? Probably something between $100 and $200.

Thanks.

Fly Flinger,

I’ve been using a Renzetti Traveler vise for quite a few years now. I’ve tied thousands of flies with it, and I plan to tie thousands more. I have a Regal vise in my traveling fly tying kit. Regal is a great vise, but I find the rotary feature on the Renzetti indispensable. The Renzetti is in the middle of your price range at about $150- $160 I believe. Have fun tying!

try the anvil, at just 100.00 its a great deal...comes with both pedastal and c-clamp plus its a rotary, though not true like the renzetti...the head is adjustable too. I recommond them to all my students for their first one...

afishinado wrote:
Fly Flinger,

I’ve been using a Renzetti Traveler vise for quite a few years now. I’ve tied thousands of flies with it, and I plan to tie thousands more. I have a Regal vise in my traveling fly tying kit. Regal is a great vise, but I find the rotary feature on the Renzetti indispensable. The Renzetti is in the middle of your price range at about $150- $160 I believe. Have fun tying!

I've been using one for about 7 or 8 yrs now. I love it. It's holding up well and I can tie on 2/0 hooks to sizes smaller than I would actually fish. So I've got everything I tie for smallmouth and trout covered.

Have fun fly tying. It's a great hobby, and although you will find it very convienient to be able to replenish your favorites without running to the flyshop.

If you want to hold prices down, buy the packs of sized hackles when you tie your dry fiies. Capes come with a LOT of feathers. But you'll only use a few sizes. I believe that I get more out of the sized packs for the money. I also like to tie "junk" flies and attractors that I use most often. The match the hatch stuff I buy so that I don't have to buy the oddball stuff that I won't use up.

I have a Renzetti Traveler too, and I would highly recommend it.

Back