Tube Flies

W

wsender

Does anyone tie or fish tube flies?

They seem to be growing in popularity for trib fishing and was looking for some input of the effectiveness of tube flies over other flies.

I do.

Tube flies allow you to use smaller hooks.
By changeing the fly desing you can control the weight of the fly.
After hookup the tube slides out of the way and can last longer before replaceing it.
A dull hook can be changed without changing the whole fly.

I hope this helps.

i tie a bunch

what are you looking for?
patterns and design?
comparision of manufactures/materials?
rigging?

trout? or steelbows?

I think patterns and rigging would be useful information for me at this time. Do you feel they are anymore, or less, effective then other means/methods?

Also, does anyone know how this would work with the restrictions in the fly fishing only sections of the Salmon River?

http://www.tubeflies.com/

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tube-flies/

i know nothing about regs on the SR

i swing mainly intruder/spider type patterns
so having the hook placed deep behind the fly is the main reason i switched to tubes
however- I still really like the even weight distribution of wadington shanks, and still tie on them a good bit

I find tubes really nice for tying patterns in the round (not real top or bottom)

I tie on HMH, Canadian tube fly, and pro-tube... each having their good and bad
recently is been all HMH micro tubes... since they will fit a normal conehead

wsender wrote:
I think patterns and rigging would be useful information for me at this time. Do you feel they are anymore, or less, effective then other means/methods?

Also, does anyone know how this would work with the restrictions in the fly fishing only sections of the Salmon River?

Good to go.

jdaddy wrote:
wsender wrote:

Good to go.

For now....... The bead fishers may just wreck it for the tubers.

Back