Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Trout sized game changers

From cambria county
Playing with this pattern this winter. I think that the fly is perfect as is for bass, but am wondering if the hook needs to be further back or some sort of hook at the rear for trout.

I'm going to be testing this out a bit, but I am not gods gift to streamer fishing. The extent is typically 10-12 casts, then giving up and switching to nymphs. LOL

Attach file:

jpg  trout changer-BLACK.jpg (72.93 KB)
3478_5a7229f2bc6c0.jpg 720X960 px

jpg  trout changer.jpg (63.96 KB)
3478_5a7229f7e2063.jpg 640X640 px

Posted on: 1/31 15:43

Re: Trout sized game changers

From Phoenixville
Put a stinger hook on that and it's money, imo

Posted on: 1/31 15:53

From Chester County
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Playing with this pattern this winter. I think that the fly is perfect as is for bass, but am wondering if the hook needs to be further back or some sort of hook at the rear for trout.

I'm going to be testing this out a bit, but I am not gods gift to streamer fishing. The extent is typically 10-12 casts, then giving up and switching to nymphs. LOL

Hey Mike,

You can use a short shank hook as the rear segment to improve the number of trout hookups.

Posted on: 1/31 16:31

From Flourtown, PA
I guess I would say advise 2 things:

First, I would definitely add a stinger as either the last or penultimate link in the GC. Afish is right about a short shank for this.

Second, I'd size that sucker up a bit. I've not seen a circumstance yet where a 4-5" fly got turned down by a trout over 8". If you're going for the little mountain brookies, I get it, and that makes sense. But if you're just tying one for trout, I'd use generally the same size you'd use for smallies (although maybe just a hair smaller).

Posted on: 2/1 11:45

From Delaware Co.
Nice Mike . I tie my smaller GC with this chenille https://flymenfishingcompany.com/produ ... tts-game-changer-chenille

Posted on: 2/1 12:18

From Peasant Gap
Great Looking flies Mike. I've been tying 2" gamechangers for trout as well. Let me know how you make out, as I've not caught a thing on mine (only fished them twice though).

My small game changers have a single hook, but my medium size GC's, 3 inches or so, use a size 10 egg hook as the tail. This makes a nice short, but wide gaped hook for the tail.

Are those lead eyes on yours?

Posted on: 2/7 9:47

From Flourtown, PA
If you aren't catching fish on them, tie them bigger than 2". A trout that's going to have to chase down its food is going to want to get enough energy from it to get a net positive. A 2" baitfish probably doesn't carry much more nutrition than a big stonefly nymph, which can be more easily captured by the trout. I wouldn't throw much smaller than a 4" fly, unless I was fishing water I knew only had tiny fish.

Posted on: 2/7 11:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com