Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: To tie one on or not?

From Clinton County, Pa.
I tie my own flies. I have been known to bum one now and then from Old Lefty and Heritage Angler.

Posted on: 2013/9/22 21:45

I tie my own from a size 18 and below. Anything above a size 18 I buy. Eyes aren't what they used to be and fingers seem to get bigger when I go above a size 18. If I'm in a fly shop I like to buy some flies to help out the local shop.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 18:23

I am not sure if anyone remembers Gary that used to work at the yellow breeches store? Heck he may lurk here? Anyways I used to like to chat with him while shopping and we got to talking about tying.
I was telling him how I had just really gotten into it and I think I am really going to enjoy it. Than he told me something I didnt expect him to say. He said "I have so much money in tying supply that I should have just bought the flies and been done with it".
So I think to myself yeah yeah he works at a fly shop he likes selling flies.

Well you know what 7 years later and thosands of dollars later Mr. Gary was so right. I tie a bunch of my stuff but tying is an ART and come to find out I am not much of an artist. Some of the men on here are incredible and I could never match there work. Than how many have wanted to tie a particular fly just to run out drop $300 on material when you could have bought two flies for four bucks? I love to tie dont get me wrong but sometimes I think I am stupid for doing it but I am to deep into now to turn back.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:11

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I buy most, and tie some. Overall, I'm not a very accomplished fly tyer.

I am good at spinner patterns and pretty much do those all myself. I also do egg patterns.

I tie some nymphs now and then, especially "anchor flies" ties with tons of weight built in. That kinda thing is hard to find in stores, and I like using them instead of shot in a tandem pattern. And I enjoy tying streamers now and then. Buggers, bunny leaches, etc.

I suck at hackling. If it has hackle, I buy it. And I use dries more often than not. If I'm on a trip and in a pinch, need flies and can't get to a shop, then I do make comparaduns. I also buy a lot of my unweighted nymphs. PT's and the like.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:27

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com