Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: To tie one on or not?

From Cato, NY
99% tie 1% buy in a pinch. That being said I don't enjoy tying a bunch of flies at a time. The most i can tie at a time is about 1/2 dozen and im done.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 9:50

From Portage, PA
I tie all of my own, and tie a lot for others. I don't fish dry flies a lot so I may trade for them once in a while. As posted before it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to purchase 50 dollars in materials for a few flies you will never use.

It adds to the thrill for me. My favorite thing is to take fur and feathers from animals I have harvested and use that for flies. Make a great full circle aspect.

I also like creating patterns on my own. This is probably the most appealing thing about it to me. You can tweak patterns and make your own renditions of popular patterns. These patterns are not seen alot in fly project waters and I found some time is the trout aren't hitting the standard flies, switching to one of these off the wall creations can be effective.

I love learning new patterns and tying with new materials as well. I love hearing that people are having success with my flies, and that keeps me tying for others.

Some guys like to tie, other just want to catch fish. It is all in what you want to get out of it to be honest.

I think I see ospreys point of this post as to try and get people to give it a chance, and see how much other like doing it. You can honestly learn to tie for very cheap. Many guys on here have some older vices and such that they might even donate if asked.

i watched my tying go from a hand-me-down vice to a regal knock off and now a regal with Staninless steel jaws. All of these items are great and help tying go more smoothly, but one can tie on a 5.00 yardsale vice and buy some cheap hooks and steal some fur off of the cat, or even find a turkey feather and create some fish catching patterns.

You will never know everything about tying, and there is always new tricks, skills, and patterns to learn. Plus it is aways fun to talk tying and your own patterns with other tyers.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:18

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I buy all my flies. I'm considering getting into tying just because I'm getting more particular about the styles of fly I want to fish, and I can't always source exactly what I want when I need it.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:24

From Ephrata, PA
To the guys who said they simply don't enjoy tying, I'm the same way. I do it 'cause for what I tie, it is more economical than buying, but I'm only good for about 6 flies at a sitting.

Even in the winter, I don't enjoy it. I fish year 'round, so tying is time away from water for me.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 10:26

From Sugarloaf pa
I tie almost all my own flies and have for the last 25 years. I love to tie them almost as much as I do fishing . I also try to get as much of my own material as I can during hunting season. I have saved A few deer hides and lots of tails to use and try to shoot all my own pheasants ,grouse , rabbit and turkey to use. I traded some flies to a cousin of mine in Alaska for A caribou hide from one he shot. And when I do use flies I didn't make my own I try to trade A few friends for flies that they have done. My wife thinks I am nuts for how far I take it but I just love the fact of getting fish with my own,.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:13

From LV
Can we have it in English?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:13

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Can we have it in English?

The English tye BWOs in size 12, why would you want anything "in English?"

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:15

-- Leo Tolstoy

From florida
I tied for a long time then and it was a thrill to fool a trout with one of my flies, then I moved to Florida. Tie clousers once in a while and make eggs for my trips North. Darn bugs got most of my materials in fact I need to clean up a mess they left Probably ate nearly all my deer hair and feathers. GG

Posted on: 2013/9/18 11:23

From York, PA
Been FFing for 3 years now. Tying for 2.5 of those. Talk about addicting. I have since cleaned the boxes out of anything I bought and I only use flies that either my Dad or myself have tied.

I am also lucky enough to have a great fly shop by work that I am in almost weekly picking something up.

Nothing like catching a fish on something you created.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 12:04

From Fairborn, OH
I bought an inexpensive tying kit shortly after I learned to fly fish earlier this year. I got sound advice from a friend who had a great setup but sold his stuff years ago and regretted it ever since. He advised to me buy gear and never sell it, and that's probably how it'll be.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 12:10

From Pittsburgh
Been tying my own for about 30 years now. Very rarely do I buy any - just really have confidence in my own flies.
I still don't mind tying - doing the bulk of it over the winter. It brightens up my mood a bit on cold winter nights.
Have never sold any - but I gladly give them to others

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:04

From Other side of the tracks
Tie my own. Started about 15 years ago I guess, but I haven't been tying much lately so all in all I am still an amateur.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:11

From Nicholson PA
Just catching a fish on something you made your self,pretty simple.and a lot of fun.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:40

From South central PA
I was kind of backwards about things i started out tying at 12 years old with a kit i got for my birthday. 3 years later i finally bought a fly rod. Im not sure why i did it like that but tying was my first love. I remember my first trout on my own fly, its a feeling i still get everytime i land a fish. 10 years later i tie almost daily and for some shops also. No feeling like tying a dozen size 16 adams for me.

Evan

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:41

I have been tying for about 25 years. I do not fish with a fly I did not tie. I was introduced to tying at my local TU chapter. In the winter, a group of us "advanced" tiers get together every other Saturday and tie new patterns. We have been doing this for years. I tie and give away dozens each year for fundraisers, friends and anyone I meet on the stream.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com