Tips on scuds

kyle1248

kyle1248

I've been tying up a bunch of scuds using a simple pattern of lead wire, mono, mallard flank and olive wiggle dubbing. I can't seem to find a way to pick the underneath out as I want. I have tried to use velco and pick the dubbing out with the point on my whip finisher but they never really turn out as "buggy" as I would like them to be. I don't want to use too much dubbing as to make them too thick but I was hoping someone has some tips. I guess I could always try the speciality scud dubbing as well that I know FFP shop sells. Any tips. Thanks!

Try a dubbing loop. It applies the dubbing in a "brush", not spun tight into a rope. Should do the trick.

Here's a link to a UK site that covers everything you could imagine on dubbing.

you may also want to try using a .22 caliber bore brush to sort of pick out the dubbing bits, more effective than velcro.

I second the dubbing loop, especially seeing as you mention using Wiggle Dub...I've been experimenting with this stuff since it first came out about 2 years ago, and I've found that, though it can be touch-dubbed, it really shines in a dubbing loop.

I do my picking with the point of a streamer hook.

Once I learned to make my own dubbing brushes like H-A suggested, I started going that route on my scuds. I still pick cress bugs and a few other patterns, mainly when stealing old lefty's ideas!

Thanks I've never tried the dubbing loop before. I'm sure it will take a bunch of trial and error to figure it out.

If you scroll down in that link I posted, that guy shows how to do it. I use the one shown prior to the herl and Spectra blend one when I use wiggle dubbing. Put sparse clumps of dubbing in the loop and give it a spin....

It's easy.

gfen,
George turned me on to using the bore brush as a tool. it's awesome.

Orvis spectrablend is a great material for scuds. Nice long fibers of natural and synthetic material, that are easy to pick out without using a dubbing loop.

What about using estaz wrapped up the body. It comes in a ton of colors and you can add a little flash to your scuds. It is also very easy to work with.

I prefer my scuds on the drabber side. Most are a grey/olive color, and thats what I go for. Also, I use an amber color to represent the dead ones, like a boiled shrimp color. Im sure you could get anything to work, get a good presentation is half the battle.

I use a Dentists root canal tool. They are great! Ask your dentist if they have a used one or buy one from him.

also, you could be wrapping your ribbing too tight or using too much scud back.

I always partially pick it out/down before I put on the shellbacking or the ribbing. Hope it helps,

Gaeron

I'm gonna try to tie up some tonight after my fiance goes to bed. I'll hopefully provide some pictures.

For my scuds and Czech Nymphs I use dubbing that is on the coarser side. By that i mean the dubbing has guard hairs mixed in and when dubbed on is quite spiky. Hares mask dubbing works well.

Also another thing that could help would be to use a smaller gauge wire OR monofilament for the rib.

I have had some pretty good success using ostrich herl instead of dubbing. You can find feathers that have herl with some fairly long fibers. Just palmer them on the hook and them brush the fibers down with your fingers before pulling the back over the top.

Back