Thread splitter

In general I am a dubbing loop guy - mainly because I do it more often and am more comfortable with it. However, thread splitting has real advantages for small flies and light amounts of dubbing for me. Need to have the right thread, one that flattens well when untwisted.

JerryCoviello wrote:
Thread Splitter vs Dubbing Loop

Your preference?

They both have a place. It really depends on what you are doing and how much material you intend to use. Though I don't see the need for another tool to split the thread when a pin or needle just the job for me.

I like splitting thread, less build up. Have to be a little more delicate when forming the loop but the end result is less build up and thats what I'm looking for. Minimal bulk, with good "bugginess".

Edit: The vast majority of my nymphs are 14's, and 16's and thats when I split thread, so thats what I use most of the time. I still split thread on 12's because its what I'm used to, but if I where to start tying lots of streamers and bigger nymphs I would switch to dubbing loops more often.

[/quote]

Though I don't see the need for another tool to split the thread when a pin or needle just the job for me.[/quote]

No-one needs a car that will go 200mph either, but its still cool

NewSal wrote:

Though I don't see the need for another tool to split the thread when a pin or needle just the job for me.[/quote]

No-one needs a car that will go 200mph either, but its still cool [/quote]

While a neat tool and I almost bought one but couldn't justify it. I just dont see it solving any significant problem for me. To each his own.

I've been tying with a lot more UTC thread over the past couple of years. Therefore I've been using the split thread technique much more. I love it for spikey hair and CDC collars. I don't use any kind of splitting tool, just use my bodkin (of course I use part of a shotgun shell for a hair stacker too). I really like the UTC thread because it gives you so many great options to spin it either direction to either cord it up or really flatten it out while tying. IMO it's very easy to split without the aid of another tool.

Veevus thread is also a very good thread to splitting

dc410 - give veevus a try. I find it easier to work with than utc as it is less susceptible to fraying if you happen to catch it on something sharp. For me it is also a touch easier for me to split.

Thanks for the tip, Nomad. I have some Veevus thread. I never tied split thread with it. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Back