The zug bug, What a bug!

JohnnyUtah

JohnnyUtah

The zug bug

Here's a fairly simple tie. It is a very productive fly in the fall, hell all season long. Zug's are hard to beat. I say fairly simple but it does call for several techniques. But they are all simple. So here we go.

Now this one I did with a fire orange head, for extra attraction on those fall stockies.. The wild browns are fans of the fire orange as well.

Thread- 8/0

Hook- I prefer daiichi, but any wet fly, nymph, or dry fly hook will work just fine. 10-20

Tail- Peacock swords

Body- Peacock hurl. You can use the swords, but I prefer hurl, of a bronze tone. Seems to work great.

Rib- Silver tinsel, silver wire.

Wing- Natural mallard flank feather

Hackle- Brown hen neck, Partridge works well also.

P8190118.jpg

start your thread and wrap back to the bend

P8190117.jpg

Tie in 4-6 peacock swords, Allow the tips to extend past the bend by about the half to 3/4 of the hook shank. wrap thread forward.

P8190116.jpg

On the way back down tie in your tinsel and silver wire. I use both so the tinsel doesn't break or move. I also like to use holographic tinsel.

P8190115.jpg

Tie in 2-3 peacock hurls, by the tips. bring thread forward. Stop about a hook eye and half behind the eye.

P8190114.jpg

wrap your peacock forward. Wrap the opposite way you do your thread. Peacock hurl is very weak and this will help strengthen it when we counter wrap the tinsel and wire. Stop at the thread and tie down. Clip off the excess.

P8190113.jpg

First wrap the tinsel. Counter wrapping.

P8190112.jpg

Then bring your wire up through. Wrap right on top of the tinsel. Tie down tight with a 90 degree bend in wire.

P8190111.jpg

Tie in your hackle. I prefer to do this one by the tip, as I want the fibers to lay back and i want the shorter fibers.

P8190108.jpg

Wrap hackle two full turns, stroking the fibers back with each turn. Tie down and clip the excess. Stock all the fibers down ward that are on top of the fly.

P8190109.jpg

Select a nice mallard flank feather. Remove all the fluff at the bottom, and run your finger nail along the exposed stem, to get the curvature out of it.

P8190110.jpg

Tie in the mallard feather by the exposed stem. Bind this baby down tight, do two on the stem, lift up and two on the shank, do this all the way to the hook eye. You want this feather secure. if this feather comes, off your zug will lose much of its effectiveness. Trim off the excess stem.

P8190107.jpg

Take your scissors and trim the mallard feather. Just cut it straight across. Its very simple and easy.

P8190105.jpg

Make a nice head, and whip finish. I like to put some sally on the head and a wee bit on the mallard wing. It makes the fly practically bomb proof.

Hope you all enjoyed this one.

nice tutorial! Well done!

Nice. I use Zug Bugs, and told the manager at an upscale fly shop that I needed to buy some peacock sword for them. He told me the Zug Bug was too "Old School" to catch trout, and I asked him which new school the trout are attending...LOL! That was pretty much the last straw for that shop(s), and I haven't been back since.

I think anything tied up with good peacock is a going to catch fish:
trout or otherwise.

RichK wrote:
Nice. I use Zug Bugs, and told the manager at an upscale fly shop that I needed to buy some peacock sword for them. He told me the Zug Bug was too "Old School" to catch trout, and I asked him which new school the trout are attending...LOL! That was pretty much the last straw for that shop(s), and I haven't been back since.

I think anything tied up with good peacock is a going to catch fish:
trout or otherwise.

Thank you RichK,
I have no clue why zugs are disappearing. They are falling out of favor some reason. The prince nymph seems to be the peacock nymph of choice. But i have caught way more trout on the zug.

You should have pointed to the pheasant tails and hares ears and said HUH??? What in the world are you talking about???lol Yeah i wouldn't visit that shop any time soon. lol.

Johnny Utah

I have similar success on both the prince and zug. But I had one hell of a day fishing the zug on the Yellowstone!!

JH

JohnnyUtah wrote:
.... I have no clue why zugs are disappearing. They are falling out of favor some reason. The prince nymph seems to be the peacock nymph of choice. But i have caught way more trout on the zug.
Johnny Utah

I think they end up imitating two different things, but the demise of the zug would probably be attributable mostly to the rise of the wooly bugger.

Please keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about.

JackM wrote:

I think they end up imitating two different things, but the demise of the zug would probably be attributable mostly to the rise of the wooly bugger.

Agreed. I've always thought the prince nymph was/is suppose to be a pseudo-iso imitation.

JackM wrote:

Doubly agreed.

I prefer the prince, but def need to add some zugs to my box. They're easier to tie and sometimes, especially for steelhead, you just need some quick ties because you're probably going to lose a bunch. I also think they're easier to tie on smaller hooks too.

I can't bring myself to use a whole mallard feather just for that little piece of white, so I use all kinds of scrap feathers for it. Don't think that matters much. I typically save the butt sections of my white marabou after using the tips for a wooly bugger for this.

ryguyfi wrote:
I prefer the prince, but def need to add some zugs to my box. They're easier to tie and sometimes, especially for steelhead, you just need some quick ties because you're probably going to lose a bunch. I also think they're easier to tie on smaller hooks too.

I can't bring myself to use a whole mallard feather just for that little piece of white, so I use all kinds of scrap feathers for it. Don't think that matters much. I typically save the butt sections of my white marabou after using the tips for a wooly bugger for this.

I put the whole feather on and then trim like in the photos. But.. I reuse the whats left. I usually can get 3-4 zugs at least from one feather.

JackM wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:
.... I have no clue why zugs are disappearing. They are falling out of favor some reason. The prince nymph seems to be the peacock nymph of choice. But i have caught way more trout on the zug.
Johnny Utah

Jack and Sender,

The zug is an excellent imitation for an iso. Much more so then a prince. Iso have a triangle wing case. Its also a very good imitation for many stone flies found in Pennsylvania, which have a similar wing case.

I recommend with the zug to tie it sparse, Ie not so much peacock hurl strands. It makes a better looking profile in the water. IMO

Johnny, I acknowledge your opinion, but believe that by varying colors, textures and techniques of a basic bugger, you can produce a lure as effective as any "Zug Bug." All credit to Mr. Zug for the design nonetheless.

Jack, I do enjoy your simplification on imitations.

456297e7.jpg

Perhaps a bugger in a very small size would be a good iso, but the stones i speak of i dont think so.

aab6e970.jpg

I'm referring to the stone on the left. It has two triangle wing pads. The zug tied sparse is a dead ringer for this insect. I fish the zug in streams where i found these insects and the wild browns are always eager to take the zug.

A prince nymph imitates an emerging insect and is best fished by lifting and lightly twitching the rod tip mid-drift.

A zug bug is best used in a dead drift or crawling like presentation to the stream bank. Johnny is right about it being a better imitation for an ISO.

However, A bugger trumps them both as being a far superior fish catcher ;-)

No denying, You just cant beat a bugger.

Sal and JU, Are you guys referring to a Wooly Bugger?

zenherper wrote:

I cant speak for Sal, but I was certainly talking about a wooly bugger. What other flies are called buggers?............

JohnnyUtah wrote:
zenherper wrote:

I cant speak for Sal, but I was certainly talking about a wooly bugger. What other flies are called buggers?............

I wasn't sure. That's why I asked. However, after reading this, I did some searching and found something called a possie bugger.
http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2008/04/10/video-tying-the-possie-bugger/

what is your point to this?

His point is that the slang "bugger" is ambiguous. He found a bugger that is a substantial variation from what is typically called a "wooly bugger."

Back