The Olive Birdsnest

TLoomis

TLoomis

So, I have always loved Cabela's version of the birdsnest...so I made an attempt at it tonight.

What do ya'll think..

IMG_6982.jpg

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

I LOVE my new homemade tool. Piece of metal (shaped like a popsicle stick) with some velcro on it. Dubbing brush...viola!

Feel free to post pictures of your version...or something similar. I am all up for ideas

looks like a olive hares ear

That fly will work very well.

I tie one very similar.

My version is tied on a scud hook. I tie a visibly thinner abdomen, and use guard hairs in a dubbing loop for the collar. If we ever cross paths, I'll show you.

I tie it in hare's ear, olive, dark hare's ear, black, and hare's ear ice dub.

troutslammer wrote:
looks like a olive hares ear

Yeah, sort of. My hares hear just uses hares mask fur. This has mallard flank and much more picking of dubbing around the thorax

jayL wrote:
That fly will work very well.

I tie one very similar.

My version is tied on a scud hook. I tie a visibly thinner abdomen, and use guard hairs in a dubbing loop for the collar. If we ever cross paths, I'll show you.

I tie it in hare's ear, olive, dark hare's ear, black, and hare's ear ice dub.

Cool! I would love to see it. I need to get more scud hooks...I only have 16-22's...

I bet that thing is a killer on Spring Creek in #18-#20. Nice tie!

Festus wrote:
I bet that thing is a killer on Spring Creek in #18-#20. Nice tie!

I'd add to the low end and say that 14-16 are probably money too. They'll take it for a scud any day of the week.

I tied up 4 of em before I caled it quits for tonight. Started at 7 and tied alot of Walt's Worms, Hares Ears, This, and some other secret flies ;)

I am gunna tie some of em up in smaller sizes tomorrow, even though its caddis night. Tuesday is always caddis night :p

and some other secret flies ;)

We have ways of dealing with secret fly people, and there ain't none of them pleasurable. Might as well give up the goods now.:-D

Hahaha, there's no secret's. I just try to tie one random fly every now and again. Tonight it happened to be a Walt's Worm body with a Poly Yarn tail, some thin skin lovin, ribbed, and brushed out alot.

I haven't had enough luck with my creativity for secret flies yet haha

JayL's right on the money , that fly will work very well , i like to use the "Leisenring lift" when i'm fishing that type of fly , seems like that method brings on strong and deliberate strikes , like the trout know they have a "window" of oppertunity and once you see them coming , GET READY!!!! NICE FLY.

I was fishing it like that on the pine 2 weeks ago and it was so suspenseful! Tons of fun, thats for sure

Thanks

That's a fine looking fly, nicely done!

Thanks jaybo!

I'll take two dozen! :lol:

Haha ok. Once I tie myself 20more :-D

Be careful tying too many of one fly.
Before you know it you'll have more of them than you'll ever fish.

I only tie 2-4 of each pattern I carry. If I lose them or they get distroyed, I go home and tie to replace them (10-15 minutes).

You will evolve as a tyer and in 2 years you may decide you don't want to fish certain patterns anymore, because you've updated and/or modified them. Now you are stuck with 30 flies you'll never fish.

Yeah I had my first experience with this 2 years ago. Now I am stuck with horrible olive nymphs that look terrible. I do 4-5 of each pattern. More or dry flies usually since they get torn up quicker

I have hundreds of flies ready for the blade/lighter.

I only seriously got into tying in the last year. Before that, it was an occasional hobby. Almost none of the flies I tied back then are usable to me, except for the basics.

There are certain patterns that I tie a ton of. Basic searching patterns, and my springtime soft hackle are flies that I may lose 4-5 of in an outing. I plan to tie (and lose) 20 of the soft hackles for the jam. There were times last may/june where it was the only fly that worked. It's basically a BH yellow PT and partridge, and it's a killer imitation for most bugs that hatch around that time of year.

Back