« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: Terrestrial Swap 2012

From Virginia/SWPA
All for an additional tier

Posted on: 2012/3/26 19:22

~Irish proverb~

From SW PA
Dub is in! Sorry for not getting the PM's sent out or the update. Will get to it this week.

JH

Posted on: 2012/3/26 22:40

From Washington, PA
If anyone backs out, even at the last minute...let me know...I can crank out some flies in a hurry for this...just drop me a PM...

Boss

Posted on: 2012/3/26 23:07

From Pittsburgh
Flyfishermanj -

With the overwelming response to this swap, I can easily back out.
In fact, with the spring hatches starting so unusually early this year, I have quite a few other things that I really would like to get tying now.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 10:28

From Perkasie PA
You guys rock. THANK YOU. I'm in.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 18:25

From Washington, PA
UM...not trying to be pushy...does that mean I am in or out...no pressure one way or another...I am really fine...

Boss

Posted on: 2012/3/27 21:54

From Ferguson Twp.
Resized Image
Woven cricket:
Hook: Daiichi 1180 # 10
Thread: Black
Under body: black 2mm foam cut in 2mm x 2mm strips
Body: Dmc floss, black # 310,brown # 898 Done in a tiger weave
Under wing: four strands purple floss
Wing: black deer hair
Head: pearl chenille, micro black
Tie in floss behind eye, light on the far side, darker color on the near side. Tie down back to the bend of the hook, tie in the strip of foam about 3-4 mm behind the eye ( leaves room for the head ) tie it down to just before the bend of the hook, cut off. When you tie the strip down use enough thread pressure to secure it but not so much you completely crush it.Bring thread to the front of the hook, tie off thread and cut I don’t like to weave with it hanging gets in the way. Google “ Tiger weave” for instructions on how to, will be better than I can do. Weave body to the end of the foam strip you tied in. Reattach the thread and tie off. With your left hand pinch the floss on the hook have bodkin ready pinch the thread between your left finger and the hook reattach thread and tie down floss and cut excess off.( a little practice getting the thread back on the hook one handed doesn’t hurt before you’re actually holding on to what you’ve just weaved) Tie in chenille at the eye of hook move thread to the point your weave stopped, wrap chenille to that point and tie off. Tie in crystal hair at body/head ( thread should be there already ) junction, cut off at the bend of the hook. Tie in deer hair ( give a good pinch so it does not rotate on you) at body/head point tips stopping around the bend or a little longer. Whip finish trim head to your liking.

Resized Image
Charlies baby hopper:
Thread: color to match body
Under body: 2mm x 2mm strip of foam
Body: 2 mm foam cut to the width of the hook gap ( or a tad smaller )
Legs: tarantu-legs
Wing: natural deer hair
Google Charlies hopper for lots of really good pics and very good tying instruction ( one thing the baby hopper only has two segments and no flash under the wing).

Posted on: 2012/3/28 6:35

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
Resized Image
Woven cricket:
Thread: Black
Under body: black 2mm foam cut in 2mm x 2mm strips
Body: Dmc floss, black # 310,brown # 898 Done in a tiger weave
Under wing: four strands purple floss
Wing: black deer hair
Head: pearl chenille, micro black
Tie in floss behind eye, light on the far side, darker color on the near side. Tie down back to the bend of the hook, tie in the strip of foam about 3-4 mm behind the eye ( leaves room for the head ) tie it down to just before the bend of the hook, cut off. When you tie the strip down use enough thread pressure to secure it but not so much you completely crush it.Bring thread to the front of the hook, tie off thread and cut I don’t like to weave with it hanging gets in the way. Google “ Tiger weave” for instructions on how to, will be better than I can do. Weave body to the end of the foam strip you tied in. Reattach the thread and tie off. With your left hand pinch the floss on the hook have bodkin ready pinch the thread between your left finger and the hook reattach thread and tie down floss and cut excess off.( a little practice getting the thread back on the hook one handed doesn’t hurt before you’re actually holding on to what you’ve just weaved) Tie in chenille at the eye of hook move thread to the point your weave stopped, wrap chenille to that point and tie off. Tie in crystal hair at body/head ( thread should be there already ) junction, cut off at the bend of the hook. Tie in deer hair ( give a good pinch so it does not rotate on you) at body/head point tips stopping around the bend or a little longer. Whip finish trim head to your liking.

Resized Image
Charlies baby hopper:
Thread: color to match body
Under body: 2mm x 2mm strip of foam
Body: 2 mm foam cut to the width of the hook gap ( or a tad smaller )
Legs: tarantu-legs
Wing: natural deer hair
Google Charlies hopper for lots of really good pics and very good tying instruction ( one thing the baby hopper only has two segments and no flash under the wing).

ave you tested the floatability of the woven cricket? I've nearly abandoned my woven cicada simply because everything I've tried weaving with doesn't seem to float right...last hope is poly yarn

Posted on: 2012/3/28 7:39

From Etters,Pa
Quote:
ave you tested the floatability of the woven cricket? I've nearly abandoned my woven cicada simply because everything I've tried weaving with doesn't seem to float right...last hope is poly yarn

Same here but they sure look nice.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 13:18

From Ferguson Twp.
I have, I fished one with and one without floatant. The one not treated floated lower in the film but did float. Tried it in riffles, runs and pools. I lost the none treated one in the branches above screwing around slapping it down on the water to see if it would go under. A few dry casts and off it would go. Got both shoes soaked trying to get it back. The treated one performed very well. Gave each one a half an hour to see how it would go drifts were 15' or so. I was hoping the strip of foam would kinda give it a neutral buoyancy and help keep it on top, all in all not bad...
Hey, thanks Delta.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 17:36

From Virginia/SWPA
Just got my vise jaws back from Renzetti so I'm gonna start cranking out flies this weekend

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:33

~Irish proverb~

From New Castle, PA
I am probably going to tie a hopper or cricket.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 19:01

From Souderton PA
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
I have, I fished one with and one without floatant. The one not treated floated lower in the film but did float. Tried it in riffles, runs and pools. I lost the none treated one in the branches above screwing around slapping it down on the water to see if it would go under. A few dry casts and off it would go. Got both shoes soaked trying to get it back. The treated one performed very well. Gave each one a half an hour to see how it would go drifts were 15' or so. I was hoping the strip of foam would kinda give it a neutral buoyancy and help keep it on top, all in all not bad...
Hey, thanks Delta.

They are good looking flys! I had to tye some woven mayflys for a swap on another board. I don't recommend that at all, but it was an odd swap and the rules made it so I had to do it that way. After playing around for a while I decided to wax the floss with tying wax and it helped a lot, but I still wouldn't recommend it. It got me wondering if it would be worthwhile pretreating the floss with floatant or Scotchgard. All that aside, I have heard that fish take sunken hoppers (naturals) quite a bit, so a hopper that looks realistic and is a less than perfect floater might be an interesting pattern.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:33

From SW PA
Swappers of the Terrestrial Swap 2012

delta_dog - TBA
Leteras - hopper or cricket
lv2nymph - Charlies baby hopper & a woven cricket
whheff - Lady Bug
sniperfreak223 - Freak's foam hopper and a periodical cicada
hbgbswanson - jassid
GRP - Letort Cricket
mkoloch - TBA
mrchunk - orange rubber leg ant
Phish_On - TBA
FrequentTyer - olive stimmi
jerseygeorge - TBA
dryflyguy/boss_steb - TBA
YoughnessMonster - TBA
Grassrod - parachute ant
dubthethorax - TBA
flyfishermanj - foam wasp

Remember we have an extra tier, so you will need to submit at least 16 flies.

JH

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:50

From Ferguson Twp.
Thanks FT with the talk of woven terrestrials I started thinking about it and figured what the hey. From what I saw it sits with the wing out of the water (untreated) and the body in the film, it had a sprawled out look.I saw this style of weaving and it looked perfect for what I was thinking, I liked the way the colors mixed to a point both up and down. When it's wet the body has a tone that's brown but not black and vise versa,I really like the way it looks. Hopefully so will the fish.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 6:48

Edited by lv2nymph on 2012/3/29 7:36:57

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com