Swimming Nymphs

I

InTheMend

Here are some swimming nymphs I tied up. I think im going to call them " freestyle nymphs " but that is still up in the air. I dont know how fishable these things are but they at least look cool. The idea behind this fly was to move away from this notion that , " I'm tying on a ' special ' hook, so I have to make the fly super complicated and realistic. I just wanted a practical fly in a little bit of a different " pose". Anyway that's my thinking, tell me what you think, looks, fishabilty, etc. I was planning to straight line them with mix up of active and passive drifts/retrieves.

P.S. - I know my photogrophy needs to improve, I need a better camera. Also, if anyone wants the tying recipe/instructions I can put that in the tying forum. Lastly, I got a shutout from Matt Grobert, creator of caddis chronicles - heres the link -http://www.caddischronicles.com/. Im in the Somerset article, second down, and I am mentioned in the third paragraph, along with a picture of my fly. Anyway, thanks!

( Click on the picture for a better, right side up image! )

Attachments

• Swimming_Nymphs_converted.jpg
    Swimming_Nymphs_converted.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 10
I've gone swimming with nymphs, but it's been years. OOOPS, wrong nymphs!

ITM,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "fishable". I'm pretty sure if you give your pattern a fair chance you will catch fish, they have a good look.

When I think of a swimming nymph I lean more toward a little bit of flash and a whole lot of movement. Here are some I tied using the Clouser Swimming Nymph pattern. I tied these flies mainly for carp fishing this summer. Plop one down into the silt 5 or 6 feet in front of a muddin' carp (without spooking it). Wait until they approach it and suck it in! Time it just right and, Yeehaaa!!!

Attachments

• Clouser Swimming Nymphs.jpg
    Clouser Swimming Nymphs.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2
Aside from the hooks, they look like pretty typical generic nymphs.

Not so sure I like the hooks, might not be the best for solid hook sets.

Kev

Back