Summer Flies

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

It's about that time. High air temps, lots of terrestrials, low water, etc. Why don't we all share our favorite summer patterns and/or recipies to get into the next "season" of fly fishing.

Mine...

I like the green weenie. I tied some with bead chain eyes and was slamming trout on them recently. Easy to see the light takes in clear water.

Black Ant - small piece of black foam, 3 turns of black hackle. Ants are everywhere and fish like 'em!

Everyone likes beetles, someone can post a recipe and pic for that.

One of my favorites, especially for bass is an all white marabou streamer. Marabou tail, unweighted, flashbou wrapped body, and marabou on the front. Whether it's in a farm pond for largemouth, or large stream for smallies it produces fish. I like seeing the strikes with it being white. Simple tie, and catches fish, doesn't get much better than that.

I tie a few hoppers, but they're not that good so someone can do that one too.

If I get some pics soon I'll post them.

Ryan

I seem to get alot of trout on Jap beeteles.

ryguyfi wrote:
low water, etc.

Haven't seen the streams 'round here, have ya? ;)

And its raining, again, right now.

gfen wrote:
ryguyfi wrote:
low water, etc.

Haven't seen the streams 'round here, have ya? ;)

And its raining, again, right now.

It's "about" that time though. Will be in the next couple weeks, just enough time to get a good thread going on summer patterns and have time to tie them up.

(and as a rebuttle, I live in western pa and was in Florida all last week lol)

Sizes 18 - 24 Griffith's Gnat

Sizes 8 - 12 Letort Hopper

Sizes 16 - 24 Renegade

Sizes 14 - 20 Queen of Waters

Aside from terrestrials, I use the same flies in the summer as I do the rest of the year. I do tend to go smaller.

GreenWeenie wrote:
Sizes 18 - 24 Griffith's Gnat

Sizes 8 - 12 Letort Hopper

Sizes 16 - 24 Renegade

Sizes 14 - 20 Queen of Waters

I second the Renegade I did good on that last summer under the water conditions RY described. Do you tie yours with a gold rib at the rear of the fly or not? Just curious.

As for Queen of waters does this look right for a recipe:

http://www.beaucatcher.com/Queen_of_the_Waters.html

letort cricket with a green weenie dropper

A foam ant in black or cinnamon , sizes from 10-24 is my go to fly for summer , you can stick a small z-lon wing under the hackle too if you want , griffiths gnat in 18-24 for most midging.

Just talking surface flies and mid-day:
In addition to the terrestrials mentioned, the emergence of lightning bugs is my cue for a size 12 light (pale yellow dubbing, cream hackle, light lemon woodduck wings, pale yellow thread) cahill for southcentral streams - YB, etc..

Before actual sunrise, sucker spawn still work, though the fish can be expected to hold in different places - sides and tail of pool.

Throughout the day and when targeting good fish, weighted size 12 crayfish cast up and across almost on the bank and lightly retreived toward mid-stream, as though spooked from the shallows.

caddis, caddis and oh yeah, caddis. Seems to work (for me at least) even when I don't see a hatch.

I have been catching alot of fish with my spinning rod in local ponds with a small to medium sized rapala suspending minnow.
Color: Baby Bass

I purchased my first fly tying kit andf tied my first fly about 2 weeks ago and have alot to learn. Obviously.

I have big plans to pick up some additional materials this week and I am salavating at tying a marabou streamer out of some dark army green marabou and maybe a touch of silver in there. Also maybe a touch of lead wrap up around the eye of the hook to keep the nose down a bit to give some more movement when stripping line.

I am confident it will be a bass slayer. With bass starting to spawn things should be heating up everywhere there will be alot of baby bass swimming around.

Also, In the past, before I started fly fishing, a small black popper has always been good to me.

They are much easier to cast with my fly rod now rather then my ultra lite rod I fished with when I was little.

Millertime... Buy a length of beadchain from the home repair superstore or craft store and just clip it off to make eyes out of for your buggers. Gives 'em a little more flare and a bit of a hotspot for fish to focus on.

Also, consider ice chenille.

Don't forget white marabou if you are tying simple streamers for bass. I tied them with a tiny bit of weight, and slowly worked it in. Just watch for it to disappear, set the hook, and hang on.

jayL wrote:
Don't forget white marabou if you are tying simple streamers for bass. I tied them with a tiny bit of weight, and slowly worked it in. Just watch for it to disappear, set the hook, and hang on.

I tied up a bunch of those to fish a private lake this Saturday. Marabou tail, then wrapped my irridescent easter grass around the shank, and marabou towards the eye, with a bead head. Looks more like a bunny fly, but slays the bass. I just love all white streamers.

One of my favorite bass/large trout flies is a small size 4-6 deer hair mouse. First thing in the morning and from dusk till dark these things work nasty. Pitch it a long the bank of a larger stream or river, and just skittered about the surface. DEADLY!!

Ry...
Up your way, you'd better have some whiteflies in your box in preparation for the blizzard.

Thanks for all the tying tips. I have a running list of new materials to try out that helps me out a lot. hopefully, I will be giving suggestions someday on here. Haha.

I like the mouse Idea. I will be trying that too.

I have a buddy that does some good with a little puff ball of duck feathers. Yellow with a bit of black. I guess it simulates a baby duck. I have seen him catch multiple fish on it.

Similar to the mouse I suppose.

Millertime wrote:
I like the mouse Idea. I will be trying that too.

I'd forgo the mouse idea as of right now. Just starting out you want to keep it easy.... buggers, Hares ear, Pheasant tail, prince nymphs, and basic catskill and parachute dries. Don't get too fancy yet, get the basics down then start the harder ties... you'll just frustrate yourself.

David,

I tried to hit the white fly hatch last year.... found the flies, missed the fish. Didn't see a single rise the whole time. Need to find a better spot this year.

Ryan

Back