Sulpher Swap 2011

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Sulpher Swap 2011 is a swap of your favorite sulpher pattern. You may tie any sulpher pattern from a nymph to a spinner. You are only required to tie one pattern, but can submit more if you desire. There is a limit of 16 tiers and the deadline to enter is Thursday, March 31st. Due date for your entries is April 22nd, 2011. Please follow the guidelines and you should have your flies shortly after the deadline.

You will need to tie as many flies as there are fellow participants. So if we reach the maximum number 16 tiers, you will need to provide at least 15 flies for all other participants excluding yourself. So everyone should tie and receive 15. Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile and the Moderators who keep this site running smoothly. It is highly recommended that you include one for Dave, for without PaFlyFish this swap wouldn't be possible.

Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your container- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. Please include a stamped return envelope. Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had flies get lost in the mail in the past. The best type of container is an Altoid tin or something similar. Fly boxes tend to be a little too bulky and usually cost more to ship.

It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc.

Please email or PM me when you have mailed your flies so I can look for them in the mail. I will post on this thread that they have arrived safely. I will PM everyone my email and mailing address once the swap is full or the deadline has passed. If you have any questions just email/PM me or post them on this thread.

JH

I am in...thinking a sulpher nymph with a weaved body.

I will tie up my simple sulphur dry that I use. Simple, but effective for me at least.

I'm in...Sulpher Vis-a-dun and a sulpher spinner.

Count me in with a sulphur para dun!

Lehigh Sulphur Spinner

I am 1 for 2 in swaps...not a great record...but if I can be forgiven for the last no-show, I would love to tie an emerger. I am tying again after a long layoff, and feeling pretty good about my skills!

BelairSteve, forgiven, lets make it 2 for 3.

Count me in...not sure which pattern, though...

I'm in. Either an emerger or spinner...TBD.

As posted in the old thread...snow shoe emerger from the Boss...I probably can't mess that up too bad.

^ Really?

these are the two I'll be tying.

Sulphur Vis-a-Dun

Hook: standard dry fly #14-18 ( submitted will be on #14 JS 105's)
Thread: Light Cahill 8/0 UNI thread
Tail: Light Dun hackle barbs
Wing: Dun Poly yarn ( I use Niche products siliconized poly yarn)
Body: Sulphur Orange Superfine dubbing
Hackle: Light Dun

Sulphur Spinner

Hook: Standard dry fly #14-18 (submitted will be on #14 JS 105's)
Thread: Light Cahill 8/0 UNI thread
Tail: 4 Dun Microfibblets, divided
Abdomen: Sulphur Orange turkey boit
Wing: Dun Poly yarn (Niche Products siliconized poly yarn)
Thorax: Sulphur Orange Superfine dubbing

These, along with a Sulphur sparkle dun and a sulphur parachute, are my go-to dries during the sulphur hatch. I've chosen #14 as that's the most prominent size for sulphurs on my local waters here in NEPA.

Note: the spinner in the picture has hackle barbs for the tail, but the submitted ones will have microfibblett tails.

Attachments

• Visadun_01.jpg
    Visadun_01.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3
  • spinner_01.jpg
    spinner_01.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
Please put me down to tie a cdc sulphur spinner.

Swappers thus far,

flyfishermanj- TBA
flyfishingNZ- nymph (weaved body)
GRP- sulphur dry
sniperfreak223- Sulpher Vis-a-dun and a sulpher spinner
jay348- sulphur para dun
LSRABecker- Lehigh Sulphur Spinner
BelairSteve- CDC emerger
Phlsphyguy- TBA
FrequentTyer- TBD
boss_steb- snow shoe emerger
jayL- Sulphur nymph
mrflyfish- cdc sulphur spinner

We have 12 so far, remember the cap is 16! Get in before its too late.

JH

I'm going to tie a quill body klinkhammer sulphur.

Updated list of Swappers and their patterns

flyfishermanj- TBA
flyfishingNZ- nymph (weaved body)
GRP- sulphur dry
sniperfreak223- Sulpher Vis-a-dun and a sulpher spinner
jay348- sulphur para dun
LSRABecker- Lehigh Sulphur Spinner
BelairSteve- CDC emerger
Phlsphyguy- quill body klinkhammer sulphur
FrequentTyer- TBD
boss_steb- snow shoe emerger
jayL- Sulphur nymph
mrflyfish- cdc sulphur spinner

We have 12 so far, remember the cap is 16! Get in before its too late.

JH

I've decided on biot body sulphur parachute.
Mike.

Back