Suggestions for a fly tying light

F

Fly5

I am going to give fly tying a try in the next few weeks. The room that I will be using has no ceiling light, what would be the best kind of light to use. I would need a desk top style light, I have seen them with a magnifier attachment. How important is that. Thanks for any input.

This is what I, and a couple of friends use. We have a 23 watt CFL bulbs in it.

14217288_121126233454.jpg

You can get it at Target for under $35.

JH

Ottlight, check around for deals, mine is a battery style.

+1 Ottlight, cord style. Watch for special coupons and deals at Michaels and Joannes Fabric. You can get them for really cheap, and they are the best.

Mine has a cord but can be used without. I also have an old school round light/magnifier, flourescent type, that I use for the wee stuff.

flyfishermanj wrote:
This is what I, and a couple of friends use. We have a 23 watt CFL bulbs in it.

14217288_121126233454.jpg

You can get it at Target for under $35.

JH

This (i like the clamp on one) with a daylight bulb.

If you want to spend more money, go to michael's or AC Moore and get an Ott light. You can get coupons for 40-50% off one item nearly every week on their websites.

Macho, I believe mine cost in the $20 range with coupon. http://m.joann.com/ottlite-high-definition-table-lamp/prd42582/ mine is black

I like my Ottlight. Got it super cheap years ago, no troubles or bulb change.

Becker - thanks for the heads up on the ottlite. I have to find a lamp as well. I have been using a halogen lamp and it burns the #censor# out of my hands

TimRobinsin wrote:
Becker - thanks for the heads up on the ottlite. I have to find a lamp as well. I have been using a halogen lamp and it burns the #censor# out of my hands

You know me, always willing to give out some good info. Unless of course you ask me about holes on the SR. Then I just tell you to buy a map....

Another for the ottlight with a eye out for 50% off at micheals acmoore or jo anns. But I think the key is the daylight bulb.

I found my ottlight when I was looking for maps of the SR, I went to Fat Joanne's.

Haha! Good ol Fat Joannes has everything.

Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like the ott light is the way to go. I'll keep an eye out for sales. Thanks again for the info.

You could also take a look at daylight lamps while you're shopping, I don't think they are as salty in price. I bought mine the first year they came out at the Sumerset show, the one I have comes with a five inch round magnifying glass connected to it. The light shows true colors as well. Just a thought.

Just got a flyer from jo anns with 40&50% off coupons take a look.

Years ago the hardware store down the road had a desk lamp on sale for $5.00. That's what I use. I also have a high intensity lamp that I purchased for the same purpose that is bit more compact, I use that when I'm travelling, that cost about $20. I bought that one at Target.

Revise that last post, looked thru the Jo Ann's flyer ALL OTTLITES ARE 50% off until jan 19!!!

That's one to jump right on if you're in need of.

Thanks for the info guys- I was just looking around for a fly tying light. Hit Jo Ann's website and bought an OttLite high def folding craft lamp. Orig price $59.99 - 50% discount, plus tax and shipping($6.95)

Great price for a high def energy efficient daylight tube that packs with the rest of your FT gear.

Back