Stinger Hooks?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Over the years I have received several boxes materials from friends who don't tie and some who do. Looking through these boxes I came across a 100 pack of Mustad 37187 in a size 4. Has anyone used this style hook for tying purposes? As a side note I am tying some articulated streamers for the Meat Box swap, but I'm a little weary to use them and the back hook.

JH

Attachments

• 52015106b.jpg
    52015106b.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
that's not a stinger hook, its a popper hook.

flyfishermanj wrote:
Over the years I have received several boxes materials from friends who don't tie and some who do. Looking through these boxes I came across a 100 pack of Mustad 37187 in a size 4. Has anyone used this style hook for tying purposes? As a side note I am tying some articulated streamers for the Meat Box swap, but I'm a little weary to use them and the back hook.

JH

I use them for deer hair bass bugs, I have them in a couple diferent sizes, I bought them years ago to tie the Helen Shaw patterns like the Bubble Puppy. I recently offered some of them to someone for tying mouse patterns.

That's funny, the package says Stinger Hook. When I googled it, it comes up as a Bass Bug Hook. Take your pick I guess?

JH

yeah, that dude should totally check and respond to the massive backlog of pms he keeps putting off.

slackers, i tell you what.

yeah, that dude should totally check and respond to the massive backlog of pms he keeps putting off. slackers, i tell you what.

?????

Nothing. I'm a slacker, and buffalo7 is not.

Its still a bass bug hook. I always lived under the impression stinger hooks had short shanks.

flyfishermanj wrote:

That's funny, the package says Stinger Hook. When I googled it, it comes up as a Bass Bug Hook. Take your pick I guess?

JH

The box that have is marked Mustad 37187 Wide Gap.

Yeah that is a great hook for tying deer hair poppers! I like to use a short shank straight eye 2XL heavy hook. or even a #6 or 8 wetfly hook is fine. Something with a fairly wide gap is also recommended.

"stinger" hooks and "bass bug" hooks are really one in the same...I've used these mustads, as well as Gamakatsu stingers for all kinds of bass flies, well, before I discovered the Mustad 3366, of course.

Perfect for any style popper where you need a wider gap in the hook. Popper bodies tend to full in the hook gap causing an increased percentage of missed strikes. since the hook hangs lower in the water as well I think it helps with short strikes which can happen on top water.

I am not a big fan of spinning deer hair, but I use them with foam popper bodies that I then coat with epoxy and it makes for a pretty durable bass popper.

This is what happens when a stinger hook goes bad.....

Attachments

• P6170112.JPG
    P6170112.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 2
That is not my hand in the picture. It is another well known board member. Although I did remove it!

Back