Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Stimulator Wont Float

From Clearfield County
Hi Guys-

I made a few Stimulators last weekend and I'm having trouble getting them to float if they get a little wet. They're only good for one cast in a flat pool. Forget about any riffles.

I tried powder and gel floatants. I'm thinking it must be my materials.

I used medium dry fly hackle, "deer body" for the wings and tail, and poly fiber for the body. The hook is a #14.

Also my heads on dries are always crowded and messy.

Any ideas on where I went wrong?

Attach file:

jpg  stimulator.jpg (32.04 KB)
7139_522a0f740707d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/9/6 13:27

Re: Stimulator Wont Float

From Ephrata, PA
You're not using a size 14 scud hook or anything, right? haha!

Posted on: 2013/9/6 13:42

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Use a smaller hackle around the body and stack about 5X as much deer/elk hair on top. Don't crowd the eye.

Get a hair stacker if you don't have one. A shotgun shell will work in a pinch. For the tail, don't trim it, but use stacked hair so the tips line up.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 13:55

From Norwich, CT
tie them a little fuller like this one fom the interweb

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/6 14:17

From Philadelphia
Other than what the other guys suggested, I tie mine with Elk not Deer.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 14:28

From Ephrata, PA
Yes elk. No CDC

Posted on: 2013/9/6 14:41

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Try it on a much large hook next time as well. Most are on a natural bend which can be a few times longer than a regular dry hook.

Always leave extra room to finish the fly. If you run out of room, then fix it. Practice doesn't make perfect; PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 15:09

From Carbon County
These guys pretty much said it all already but make sure you are using a dry fly hook. I use mustad c53s for my stimmies. Elk hair floats better than deer when you're just using the tips. And wrap you hackle a little denser. Finishing the heads is a little tricky because everything wants to slide towards the eye. In the riffle.com has a video of an easy trick that helped me for the head. You basically just leave the thread back from the eye where you start your head hackle and wrap the hackle against the thread and it gives you just enough tension so it doesn't slip.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 15:26

From Lancaster Co.
I think you are new to tying. When you tie do you keep a photo of the fly in front of you and refer to it? Compare your fly to the one nfrechet posted and you'll see some obvious differences. Tying while comparing your fly to a picture and not proceeding until you're satisfied you're close to the photo is a great approach. There is a really good picture by picture tutorial for the Stimulator in Randall Kauffman's "Tying Dry Flies." After all, he invented it. I highly recommend this book even though it contains a lot of western patterns. The photos, descriptions and techniques are very good.

Also, tie simpler flies that may have similar materials, steps, etc. to a more challenging fly. Before you tie a Stimulator are you completely satisfied with the quality of your elk hair caddis?

Posted on: 2013/9/6 16:32

From Lancaster
Lots of good advice given above. The stimulator can be a challenging pattern to tie. As many above, I also prefer Elk Hair for its added flotation factor. Managing deer and elk while tying can be downright frustrating at times. Focus on your proportions - I prefer about 3X as much material for the wing as the tail. When tying in the wing or tail control must be maintained at the tip end of the hair as well as the thread end while making wraps, cinching it down and locking it in place by running some wraps through the butt ends. I always pinch the tip ends real tight with my off-bobbin thumb and index finger and maintain that control until it is locked in place. The second you leave go of the tip ends you lose control of that end. You can also angle trim your body hackle on top so that the wing lays a bit closer to the hook. After the wing is tied in the first couple of wraps of dubbing on the thorax can also be used to tighten down on a few of those wild wing hairs.

The stimulator is an awesome pattern in fast water mainly due to its visibility - the fish usually hammer it because if they snooze - they lose. So getting them tied so that they float well under those conditions can be very productive. Keep practicing - you will start to gain confidence in working with deer and elk hair over time. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/9/6 17:29

From State College PA
In addition, your hair is almost perpendicular. One cause is how you tied the dubbed body. The other may be that you tied the hair in while holding it on a slight angle. The hair should be parallel to the shank when it's tied. I think the fly fisherman mag had an article on tying in hair not that long ago

Posted on: 2013/9/6 23:02

From Lehigh Valley
Here's an excellent step-by-step tutorial by Charlie Craven on tying a golden stimulator.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=33

Posted on: 2013/9/6 23:26

From Norwich, CT
not to nit pick, but it was invented long before kauffman put it in a book.

he even admits it himself in one of his books

see "improved sofa pillow" also

Posted on: 2013/9/7 5:29

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/nfrechette.htm

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Not all poly dubbing is water proof or even repels water. Make sure your dubbing is for dry flies and tie it sparse. don't make the body to thick.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 7:25

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
Not all poly dubbing is water proof or even repels water. Make sure your dubbing is for dry flies and tie it sparse. don't make the body to thick.

^^ I think this is the winner....

Also grease it up with a gell or liquid floatant before getting it wet. Once wet its heavy and you will never get back to floating it until the water is removed. I mean you have enough hackle and deer hair to float an aircraft carrier there...I think yer boat has a leak.

After further review, your hackle seems too big and wispy (not stiff enough) to stand the fly up. I think the advice given is spot on...pictures, tutorials, make it match what is proven.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 8:33

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com