Steelhead swap

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Anyone interested in a steelhead swap? Nothing big, looking to get at least 10, with a maximum of 15. Post here if interested, and I'll go from there.

Yea whatever, I am in.

Ahhh alright Ill do this one.. Emerald shiner.

I in, when ya thinking due date will be?

JH

flyfishermanj wrote:
I in, when ya thinking due date will be?

JH

Just testing the waters at this point...if I get enough interest, probably second week of September.

By the way, I'll be doing my play on the Green Butt Skunk.

I am in. If we could get the flies by November in time to put them to use, that would be great. I will tie a deep six egg.

beeber2 wrote:
I am in. If we could get the flies by November in time to put them to use, that would be great. I will tie a deep six egg.

not a problem, you'll have them well before November. I'm headed up to NY's Salmon River in mid-November.

I'm in.

looks like 6 so far...looking for 10 to go ahead with it.

Im a newbie at this, but i am going to the SR in november aswell and will be tying some steelhead flies, if nobody minds id like to get in on this swap.

I'll get in on this. I'll do a hairwing of some kind.

I'll be doing some type of glass bead caddis larva, which works well on fall chrome for those heading up in November.

so im on vacation and missed the bwo swap...if there's space here, count me in! pattern tdb...

So, I'm thinking the 18th as the registration deadline, with a max cap of 15, and how about September 9th as the deadline? sound good?

oh, and I'm also considering throwing in some coal cars, too.

yea so who's tying what?

This is my list so far:

sniperfreak223:Green Butt Skunk and Coal Car
SBecker: TBD
BrookieBuster101: Emerald Shiner
flyfishermanj: TBD
Beeber2: Deep Six Egg
dubthethorax:Glass Bead Caddis Larva
HuntinFool: TBD
thetonyage: TBD
turkey: hairwing of some kind
jay348: TBD

What are the rules of the swap I have never done one before?

Leteras wrote:
What are the rules of the swap I have never done one before?

Well, these are the general guidelines:

You will need to tie as many flies as there are fellow participants. So if we reach the maximum number 15 tiers, you will need to provide at least 14 flies for all other participants excluding yourself. So everyone should tie and receive 14. Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile and the Moderators who keep this site running smoothly. It is highly recommended that you include one for Dave, for without PaFlyFish this swap wouldn't be possible. Counting the 4 mods, and Dave, that would be a total of 19 flies if you are so inclined.

Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your container- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. Please include a stamped return envelope. Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had flies get lost in the mail in the past. The best type of container is an Altoid tin or something similar. Fly boxes tend to be a little too bulky and usually cost more to ship.

It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc.

basically,you pick your favorite steelhead fly, then you tie enough flies for the other participants (and the mods if so inclined), mail them to the host, the host sorts the flies, and mails them back. Each tier will receive one fly from each participant(two from me because I'm overly ambitious). just post here if interested so I can add you to the list, deadline to register is August 18, and the flies are due by September 9th. Assuming everyone holds to the deadline, you should receive your flies shortly thereafter.

Back