Stacking Questions

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Hi, I have 2 questions about stacking. First when I stack deer hair, sometimes it clumps up on the cut end. Is this just something that happens or am I doing something wrong/using the wrong hair?

My 2nd question is, do different brands of stackers work better and worse? I have a cheap stacker from when I first started tying. It's probably Angler's Image brand but I'm not sure. Would a higher priced stacker provide better performance? Or should I just focus on improving my technique?

One tip Ive used, if your hair is clumping in the stacker and not aligning properly it could be caused by static electricity built up in the stacker. Keep a dryer sheet around on your tying desk, prior to stacking run the dryer sheet through the stacker, it will reduce / eliminate static electricty build up in your stacker and will stack better.

I have a cheap stacker but it works fine for me, especially when I run the dryer sheet through it.

phiendWMD wrote:
Hi, I have 2 questions about stacking. First when I stack deer hair, sometimes it clumps up on the cut end. Is this just something that happens or am I doing something wrong/using the wrong hair?

My 2nd question is, do different brands of stackers work better and worse? I have a cheap stacker from when I first started tying. It's probably Angler's Image brand but I'm not sure. Would a higher priced stacker provide better performance? Or should I just focus on improving my technique?

Cut the hair > hold by the tips > pull out all the fuzz and shorts

I often use a fine tooth comb to remove the fuzz and shorts.

I would bet when the cut end is cleaned up, it will not clump.

As far as buying a "better" hair stacker, it's really just a tube that fits into a slightly larger tube.

Back in the day I used a shotgun shell and that worked.

The tip that NewSal gave is a good one.

You should be good-to-go.

If its clumping then your not cleaning it good. You have to get the small pieces and fur out of the longer hair. Take a fine tooth comb and run it threw a couple times. Don't be afraid to push the tops down then slam it. Depends on your stacker what's it made out of.

If you do not have a fine tooth comb I have found that using a tooth brush to remove fuzz and shorts works well. Actually prefer it to a comb.

I'll second the toothbrush.

I'd bet your problem is due to the fur not being removed. I pull it out with my hands, I can do it faster than with a brush.

I have one of these

Underfur-Hair-Comb.jpg

It's 5" long and works well but I mostly just use my fingers.

I use those vintage brass stackers (3 sizes) and typically stack twice and vigorously, the second time in the smaller stacker.

moon1284 wrote:
I'd bet your problem is due to the fur not being removed. I pull it out with my hands, I can do it faster than with a brush.
I may not be cleaning it well enough. Usually I just hold the bunch of hair horizontally about a 1/4" from the butt ends and run a finger from my other hand up and down over the butts a few times. Then I'll lightly pinch the butt ends and pull outward. I've never tried a comb but I'll give that a shot. I have one of those combs that goes from fine to course. What I do does seem to remove some pieces but maybe I'm not getting it cleaned out enough.

Back