Squirrel Tail

kobalt335

kobalt335

I shot a big squirrel a few weeks ago and decided to keep the tail. I have never used it before was wonder what kind of patterns can be tied with it.

Jeff3 wrote:
Picket Pin.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and it looks like a very easy yet effective fly. I plan on fishing wet flies this year, so this one will earn a spot in my box.

It also make some nice streamers. I use to tie a streamer with a body like a black nosed dace. Red wool butt, silver embossed tinsel body, squirrel tail wing. Trout and smallies like it.

GenCon

I have a couple nice tails that were given to me by a hunting friend several years ago. I mostly use sparse amounts for the underwing on Muddlers. At the rate I'm using them, they will outlast me.

Thanks for the ideas. Over the weekend if the streams don't drop I'm hoping to sit down and mess with it.

I cut up squirrel tail and the body fur as well for blending into nymph dubbing. key ingredient for limestone shrimp and cress bug dubbing.

heres some ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=fly+patterns+using+squirrel+tail&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhzevShbHLAhVK4yYKHYV1DnsQ_AUIBigB

red or gray makes great wings on streamers

RedSquirrelHairwing2_zpsf9692dd0.jpg

QueenoftheWaters.jpg

Like everyone else has said, the body fur makes great dubbing and I love the tail for streamers. I make my Black nosed dace like GenCon described. I use fox squirrel for mine but gray would work just as well. Very effective streamer in the right conditions

Attachments

• rsz_black_nose_dace.jpg
    rsz_black_nose_dace.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 2
I ran the hides and use them on nymphs. Love grey squirrel and is definitely my favorite material to tie nymphs.

Not sure if it was a fox squirrel or not but some craw patterns use it.

mike_richardson wrote:

Not sure if it was a fox squirrel or not but some craw patterns use it.

I like to use fox squirrel tail hair for the claws on my crayfish patterns for carp.

Back