Squirmy Wormy??

T

tctrout

What more can I say than, "Squirmy Wormy!" This is one that's worked for me very well, though I am nearly embarrassed to admit it. How about all of you?

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEweNPsOZLA&t=511s[/youtube]

I've tied them like that but then reverted back to the days of fishing "garden hackle". I just threaded then on the hook like I would a red wiggler. Not as durable as the original version, but I've caught a couple of trout and sunfish on them

never tried one, don't believe I will. To each his own though.

mike_richardson wrote:

Odd response from someone who fishes mop flies isn't it?

JerryC wrote:
I've tied them like that but then reverted back to the days of fishing "garden hackle". I just threaded then on the hook like I would a red wiggler. Not as durable as the original version, but I've caught a couple of trout and sunfish on them

I've experimented with them a few ways, even adding dubbing to prevent cutting of the material. I tend to stick with this way and have had great results on its durability.

TC

NewSal wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

Odd response from someone who fishes mop flies isn't it?

I think he sells the mop flies but doesn't fish them.

I have done some like this recently. I have yet to try them out I am not much of a fan of having a tag in the front. Have not had a chance to try these out but I dont see why they wouldnt work.

8IBs5appYi_PK1HgwNEmuie3euZPCC_TVNPyw0aGi6bTSfCtSsrLxTq0QQyAh0rDbwARfsgL4yDdrabpWa4T-YYir3kxx7lqWEjOwp0lcuH1HpWoY5zJQulHvHXyYnocOVBwERlx0oO3ZongMnAksnOpZxUr3jrgNZOpQ2o2u0VgPR2d-TBU5HTh1kqZcD0nUc92a8IabIxXUOib9m-wIPVyq0HDPy0lZcQaUvDq1glqa3NJZ7JJgsUfL135lbKY19SOXa_FCTV1hGL_7DNNE8mQeTNeIy_8oajverumGnMAqqptHYQhlgL7qY7v1ZKUARFC0g53ieNweZ4xPQ3cpZMlUwHA-lX8awRHH6-H2EMJoPCEEwYKZNEaNnZbgqLFkhsRJndA8HeMcz8jwI9M8fRCJJCnmkyOXmsaVftS9HECY07W9FFqUTe9ppJnNSCr3cSdHNbA968Lea9WWZFBbTqepU22ANatVMFQSoAUjpMhok8ZYYjm5dquO3lRpQUldBwrdEWbSVkfRVFb1uYVafb0xH2Xe0_vWHPSd-mge5Cd267xyhJjS6M1BhCC51QSS6omg_iteui5WmWcYTejTpz7SEcksAmzo-Hj9-POyN3OKfbwa0qy=w535-h950-no

Ah yes, a worm fly. Personally, I like the chamois worm because it seems to catch fish under more circumstances. The pink, ugly ones - I have some Infamous Pink Worms and pink squirminators - either don't get touched or slaughter the fish. They are especially good on fresh stocked rainbows. I have luck with chamois worms on wild browns on limestone streams as well as stockies, so I tend to have more of them.

Of course I would prefer to fish traditional dry flies, but some days the junk flies are what they want.

I've never fished a mop fly other than one that looks like a cranefly larva.

I don't care what anyone fishes with, really. I just like to fish with stuff that looks like an aquatic insect when fishing for trout.

I never fished a green weenie other than one that looks like a caddis larvae or inchworm. lol I don't care either as long as it's legal.

McSneek wrote:
I never fished a green weenie other than one that looks like a caddis larvae or inchworm. lol I don't care either as long as it's legal.
:lol: :lol:

what is the best brand and color? for material

I've done much better on blood red and pink than the tan earthworm color. I never tied them with a bead head, just on a curved hook. On the local stocked DHALO these worked great this year.

people do understand that there are worms that live in the water and in the banks along the water. these worms will be available to the fish most of the year and they eat them (shocking right). there is no different then fishing a sulphur nymph over a squirmy worm to match what is in the water.

They work especially well where you have some good water flow versus slow water.

Ron

ive never seen a bright pink or purple , blue or orange worm along side the stream is all im saying. I did see more of an earthworm colored material that looked pretty close.

Are guys weighting these things?

Mike sometimes they are weighted and sometimes not. Pink and white seem to be good colors as well as red for me. Honestly one of my best producing flies right now has a purple thorax. Nothing like that exists in nature but it sure catches fish.

I was given a few that Orvis carries. I was fishing a piece of private water in VA with plenty of fish but few strikes. I put one of these on and proceeded to clean house for the next two hours. I now always keep a few in the box. When I go fishing I like to catch fish. Some times it takes one of these to get it done.

tracker12 - You have a good attitude and I feel the same. I put one of these on last week while fishing a bamboo rod and caught a bunch of fish. Talk about breaking tradition....I bet the purists are just stunned right now in regards to association of a squirmy worm and bamboo rod...LOL!

Thanks,
Ron

PALongbow wrote:
...I bet the purists are just stunned right now in regards to association of a squirmy worm and bamboo rod...LOL!

They shouldn't be. The last flies that Lee Wulff "tied" were molded plastic nymphs.

Back