Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Some featherwing streamers

From SEPA

You'll have to ignore Chaz, he's not very good at actually being helpful which is why someone went so far as to ape him with an account named "Helpful_Chaz."

Alas, we're stuck with the cantankerous version.

They're very nice streamers. He can go on and on about whatever he wants, but while perception does create reality, the truth is, his is wrong.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:53

From Lancaster Co.
Mountain Brookie - Am I correct that you whip finished two-tone heads on a couple of them? Looks like You put some colored thread wraps over the black before you laquered them.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:56

From Armstrong County
Quote:

McSneek wrote:
Mountain Brookie - Am I correct that you whip finished two-tone heads on a couple of them? Looks like You put some colored thread wraps over the black before you laquered them.

Yes I did, it's the way that style of fly was originally tied though my bands are far from perfect. Guess I'm trying to incorporate a little history.

As far at the streamer/wet fly debate here I'm fairly certain that they're streamers. I've never seen a wet fly tied on an 8XL Martinek Streamer Hook, but I could be wrong.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:48

From philadelphia
the proportions look just right to me,very carie stevens influenced maine streamers.

our own plumb bob from this forum ties beautiful ones!

Posted on: 2013/3/25 23:18

From York & Starlight, PA
Don't be so modest! those streamers are beautiful. You are an accomplished tier with verty good skills.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 8:41

From York & Starlight, PA
"Beautiful! The correct term is wetflies."

I tend to disagree with your statement that this form of fly is called a wet fly. Wouldn't you agree that most fly fishers are going to think of the term "wet fly" as a fly tied on usually no more than a 1X long shank with wings of hair, feathers, or some synthetic, designed to imitate some aspect of the life cycle of an insect rather than to imitate a baitfish? You could go to any fly shop in Maine where flies of this nature are tied, and sold, and everyone would most likely call them streamers. In a more general sense you could call them subsurface flies but in the jargon most fly fishers are accustomed to this type of feather, or hair wing, tied on a long shank hook are, and always will be considered, streamer flies.

This is the Wiki definition of a streamer fly;

"Streamers are designed to resemble some form of baitfish or other large aquatic prey. Streamer flies may be patterned after both freshwater and saltwater prey species. Streamer flies are a very large and diverse category of flies as streamers are effective for almost any type of gamefish"

This is the Wiki definition of a wet fly;

"Wet flies; Wet flies are designed to sink below the surface of the water. Wet flies have been tied in a wide variety of patterns to represent larva, nymphs, pupa, drowned insects, baitfish and other underwater prey."

Posted on: 2013/3/26 8:47

Edited by wbranch on 2013/3/26 9:04:19

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com