Some Tricos

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Here are some tricos I tied up this evening. I've used simple thread body with poly wing and no tail ties last year and did well with them. I wanted to incorporate the tails and try some different wings. All have thread body, micro fibbet tails.

Please critique. I appreciate honesty and constructive criticism for insight on my ties!

Size 24 poly wing
CAM00141_zps2af4717e.jpg

Size 20 snowshoe wings
CAM00132_zps4bcd11fc.jpg

Size 20 thorax dun with poly sighter
CAM00129_zps4a0c2e43.jpg

They look good to me.

Tyger, they look good. Tails need not be so long. 2-tails not 3.
Just make sure to bring enough for me. LOL

GenCon

Damnit! I thought there were 3? Oh well, fish could care less but i wanted to tie them "right". Ill shorten them up as well. Thanks!

Jim - The real bugs have 3 tails. Really nice job on splitting the tails!

Like Mike, I only tie in 2 tails (function, not form). Even though fish spend a lot of time in schools, they can't count. ;-)

Consider tying some up with about half as many fibers in the wings. I've found as the fish get pounded, they respond better to a sparser wing. If you're feeling OCD, about a dozen fibers is perfect. Wingspan should be 1 centimeter, tails 1 cm in length (got this from an entomologist). Make sure the thorax is kinda beefy - the real bugs are like that.

A really cool trick to tying spinner wings is to seperate out the desired number of fibers from the hank - cut off like 6" worth. Take a lighter and burn one end until it forms a ball. Tie in the other end, and use the "connected" end to pull on to adjust wing length. Very little waste, and easier to work with.

Ed, thanks! The tails were more for me but i understand. I was takking with Dave from LL fly shop and he stated the trouts view as an impression in water. Pretty interesting.

Ill sparse up the wings, shorten tails, and add a little to thorax. Two tails make for a nice fly. Im assuming the tails would help float better right? Ive tied some last year with no tails and did ok. Most trout were caught on Foxgaps trico pattern, not mine so i wanted to improve my ties a wee bit. Thanks for the input!

You should probably get the small vise grips for those little things. :-o Looking good, the trout will let you know just how good though.

Here is a picture of a Trico that landed on me last year. You can see how long the tails are and the color of the wings.
I hope this helps you.
Bill

Attachments

• trico.jpg
    trico.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2
Bill, Thanks for the pic. I feel like the poly wings are too white (going with what HA said about being sparse). Those tails really stick out to the sides a good bit.

Jim - Dead on about the poly yarn.

This stuff in dark dun (not very dark) works awesome.

Niche poly yarn

Ed,
So would you put some kind of sighter between wings then?

I use Al Miller's Trico (for Les, call it the "Philadelphia Lawyer").

It's simply grizzly hackle with a thread body tied in reverse - hackle at the bend. You can use white or light olive thread for the abdomen to imitate females and all black thread for males. Here is a link with a video on how to tie it:

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Video-How-to-Tie-Als-Trico/

I use size 24 hooks. I like to trim the hackle on the bottom and I also leave a long tag end of tippet to represent the tail.

One final thing - Tricos are fat, sorta football shaped. Tie the thread body with that shape in mind.

Give it a try.

Afish, sounds good. I tend to over dub my flies so i was trying to keep that in mind. They do seem well fed.

Another question...the tricos fly around horizontally, correct? I saw some other bugs flying up and down yesterday. I remember someone saying those are paraleps or something like that? Are those related to tricos and significant hatch status? I feel like they would be discussed more if so.

Trying to fish a paralep hatch/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/is like going on a snipe hunt.... :lol:

J55tyger88 wrote:
Ed,
So would you put some kind of sighter between wings then?

No - the yarn is pretty visible. If all else fails, use "The Force". :lol:

Seriously, a greased leader presentation that midge fishermen often use works great for tricos.

Fox's trico dun pattern is easy to see on the water, and probably the best option for newbie trico fishermen that have trouble seeing the tiny bugs.

Maybe we can get Fox to demo tie them....

Yes Fox's pattern was easy to see but after one fish the fly was toast because i didnt have the frog powder to dry it off.

Cmon fox, show me the way ????

I once fished an 18 BWO during the trico fall and slayed them. :cool:

JackM, Really? Thats cool. I had alot of problems last year. Im pretty sure its because of my newb status. I guess if you get an excellent drift, then the bug doesnt have to be spot on eh?

Yes, really. Spring Creek, 2009. No trico imitations left, fish rising. The closest I had was the #18 BWO. When I say I slayed them, I mean I hooked up once or twice-- all is relative.

Not doubting you at all jack, just annoyed with my onstream assessment of having the best hatch match. I seemed to think having the most exact fly was crucial, but seems as long as it resembles a small bug and is presented well, trout will take.

Presentation rules over representation ????

Back