Some Flies for Early Season Bass

F

Fishidiot

Although spring seems to be slow coming on this year (big river water temps have dropped this week).....pre-spawn bass fishing should kick in soon. The conventional wisdom among spin guys is that, this time of year, a dark colored hair jig is top game for river smallies. I agree. Personally, I like minnow imitating flies during the colder months and agree that dark colors are highly effective. Fish 'em low and slow.
Anyway, here's some recent ties from the ole vise. They're just Clousers but I like a mix of synthetic and natural materials - in this case, black marabou and rabbit for the underside and SF Flashblend for wing and red/brown bucktail for overwing. The flies are about 3" long. While I like big streamers for bass in fall, typically 3-5 inches, don't go too big this time of year.

Attachments

• CM13.jpg
    CM13.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 13
hard to think about bass fishing with all the ice/snow/sleet/hail we got today....

awesome ties though!

Yeah, hard to think about bass now. There are too many distractions. I'm all about steelhead this time of year and starting to think about spring trout. I don't start fishing for bass until after trout fishing slows down as we move into summer. I do love those streamers though, nice ties.

Very nice Dave. What hook do you like for your freshwater Clousers? Something with a longer shank than a typical saltwater deep minnow?

Man I am so ready for the pre-spawn. I can't wait! Got me a new (to me...40 year old) 8wt ready to go!

way its looking early bass here will be July !!

Back