Soft hackle chunky caddis

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

This is a pattern I have been playing with that is heavily based on Davy McPhail's Chunky Caddis. I have not fished it yet, so the trout jury is still out. Please let me know what you think.

Soft Hackle Chunky Caddis
Hook: Caddis #12
Thread: Brown Uni 8/0
Underbody: 8 turns of 0.02 lead wire started opposite the barb.
Abdomen: Medium brown Spanflex
Rib: Sand ostrich herl and small brown UTC wire
Hackle: Hungarian partridge
Thorax: Black seal and green rabbit dubbing

Attachments

• ChunkySoftCaddis.JPG
    ChunkySoftCaddis.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 15
Frequent,
cool tie i think i have seen most if not all pupas in the Green color in my samples.a bright kelly green or insect green will knock em dead

I'm feeling this pattern FrequentTyer! Would definitely fish it.

I like it too. Nice n buggy. Id fish it with confidence.

add a few strands (6?) of clear antron as an underwing, and it would be perfect

Lonewolve wrote:
Frequent,
cool tie i think i have seen most if not all pupas in the Green color in my samples.a bright kelly green or insect green will knock em dead

Not always, the little black caddis has a very orange larva.

Untitled+5.jpg

TCO used to have a video of a Caddis Pupae that was VERY similar to this, but I can't find it now....

It's a great pattern, really does well.

gfen,
sorry i was talking about pupas, i know all to well about chimarra larva.and our local creeks are full of them too. all the pupas i get in my samples have been of various sizes some quite huge, and they have been that bright green color,never get em tan or other colors.
The casemakers i have seen have been green,olive,and a huge casemaker that had a creamy white body and was about as big in diameter as your pinky tip.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Very nice fly...that will catch fish for sure

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I am going to try some green, but I have to dye some partridge first.
Mike.

Frequent,
use green color for abdomen only keep gill color the same as above and keep the partridge either brown,tan or gey with speckles,the head is always either brown or black,peacock dubbing or herl works great for the head.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Back