Soft Deer Hair Uses?

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

I was tying up some caddis patterns last nite and when I went to line up my ends in the stacker I couldn't help but notice how soft the hair was when compared to the commercially tyed patterns I have or even the elk hair I use.
How will this effect the flies ability to float even with ginks?
Would this hair be a better choice for a different application such as spinning?
I am an anal tyer already and would like honest opinions about what to do with this hair. If you think I should put it aside and purchase something stiffer please let me know.

If it is relatively fine in texture, it can work well for Comparaduns, IMO. A softer hair will compact better on the shank when tied in. And that being the case, you can use more hair (within reason..) and get a better fan and better wing silhouette when it's upright and in position.

Littlelehigh-

I have a lot of deer hair. My biggest complaint has been softness/brittleness. My caddis and comparaduns often have broken hairs, and are just not like the professional flies. I was not sure if it was the hair, thread diameter, or thread tension. I just came across this article and it is VERY GOOD at explaining differences in hair. I am sure it will help you.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/craven_hair_1.aspx

ps. you can get articles like this weekly by signing up for the e-mail newsletter.

JG

jerseygeorge, that is a very informative article, thanks

Your welcome. I am glad that LLehigh asked the question because I have a lot of hair wing flies (caddis, comparaduns, and hair wing march browns- and hendricksons) to tie. I might post a few pics here for some critique, because I have a problem with broken fibers. The writer of that article says he never accepts any. Hmmm...

Thanks for the link. I visit there website regularly but I have to admit I missed that article. Please do post some picture I would like to see them.

1 new question my flies I tied up last nite I coated with ginks before I went to bed. Today I dropped them in a cup of water to see how they would float and they seem front heavy the front seems to immediately start to sink. Any suggestions??? Is the cup test not very accurate. I want to make some more but am a little discouraged if I am not doing something correctly.

1. There is a lot of controversy on this, but I rarely use any gel floatant. Frog Fanny guy here. There are exceptions, but 90% of the time I use frog fanny on the fly. I use Aquel and often grease the leader, except the last foot of the leader.

2. I don't know the best test. I would expect the hair to float parallel to the surface, and the bottom of the hair should be parallel with the body of the fly. Maybe the ginks is floating the body high, and forcing the head under. Others? Might need something more like a fish tank so you can drop the fly and replicate how it would land after a cast.

I put gink on at the stream.

I use watershed and let that sit overnight (no gink needed).

Back