Small Hooks

T

tctrout

I've not kept up-to-date in the world of tiny flies, thus anyone know which hooks (available) are around in the size 30 range?

Thanks, and any links to purchase would be great!

Tim

RCFetter wrote:
Tim, Dette's has Tiemco 100 dry fly in size 28:

Dette Trout Flies

Thanks, though I'm really shooting for 30's and 32's. A video will be in the making with them, yes! ;-)

TC,

The only sub 28 hooks, I know of that are currently produced are C12 BM by Gamakatsu - a size 30.

I think the Tiemco 518 was discontinued in hook sizes 30 & 32 about 4 years ago. I bought all I could find which ended up being 2 packs of each. They still have them in 28s.

I only have a few places that I use the flies in that size and fish over about 12 inches often straighten the hooks, even if I'm using a glass rod and being very careful.

I used to use TMC 2487's for midge hooks because they had a wide gape, but they no longer make the smaller sizes

Recommend Gamakatsu C12-BM Barbless Midge, Large Eye in size 30.

Large eye for ease of threading tippet.

Strong enough not to bend / straighten on fish

Wide gape for the size of the hook.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1139

Yo tc

Have you considered tying a low water style to produce a smaller fly on the bigger hook?

BTW, hooks in these micro sizes vary considerably in length. For instance the old gold Mustad #28 is smaller than the Tiemco 518 #32.

lestrout wrote:
Yo tc

Have you considered tying a low water style to produce a smaller fly on the bigger hook?

BTW, hooks in these micro sizes vary considerably in length. For instance the old gold Mustad #28 is smaller than the Tiemco 518 #32.

Thanks for the information, and you're right in that the hook sizes vary considerably. Tying smaller sizes on larger hooks is definitely something I do a lot (especially for many nymphs), though hooks in these sizes (28-32's) are for a different purpose. Thanks again for the info...

TC

I have one pack each of the Tiemco 518 in 28, 30 and 32. I plan on tying a few midges with them. They are VERY small. Glad to hear they still make them in size 28.

Back when I began tying the hook size was determined by the gape. Distance between the shank and the point. the smaller the gape the larger the number. And with that there was a "standard Length" Mayfly or "fly" sizes were determined by insect body length compared to hook size. Longer hook sizes were translated into 2xl (extra long),3xl,4xl but the gape stayed the same.

These days different manufacturers seem to have a moving target with this standard especially with the smaller sizes.

It seems if they want to shorten the shank they may keep the gape the same as a larger hook.

Is a packaged Size #30 hook with a gape the same as a #26 really a #30? Or is it a #26 2xs(hort)

Anyway, At some point it gets counter productive to the ability to hook a fish with a hook gape that small.

Back