Slumpbuster pattern question.

Redfin

Redfin

I'm going to tie some slumpbusters.
Sizes #6-#10
Do I want pine squirrel zonker strips or the micro pine squirrel zonker strips? I seen micro but I'm not sure that's the correct size?

Any Color recommendations?

If I go bigger what kind of zonker strips do I need? Rabbit?

Personally I would go size 4-8. Standard 1/8" zonker strips work fine for size 2-8 for me. Micro would probably be better for size 10 but I have not tied any that size so I don't have a strong opinion. You can use either pine squirrel or rabbit for any of the sizes you want to tie. Pine squirrel is easier to work with versus rabbit. Rabbit has more under fur making it a little more challenging to make your wire wraps to secure the zonker strip without trapping fibers. Get both and experiment and see what you like. Really cant go wrong with either.

I'm a big fan of slumpbusters. I've only used the regular sized pine squirrel zonker strips and tie from #4 - #10 with good results.

BTW, if you get a full skin of natural colored PS, you can tie both brown w/gold body and gray w/silver body slumpbusters from the same pelt. Both colors have been very productive for me.

Pro tip: Substitute UV Ice Dub (in a loop) for the body in place of the sparkle braid that's in the original recipe. Killer!

A buddy showed me that with the ice dubbing .... that's a great tip and opens up lots of options.

Yeah, and as it gets picked out by fish it starts to flow back under the tail. Good stuff.

I use white rabbit strips. Body is olive pearl core braid with a medium dark green wire wrap. Size 10 streamer hook with a medium gold cone head.

I have done very well on white.

If you want to try something similar but a bit different try matuka style streamers. Same techniques as a slumpbuster but feathers are used instead of fur. Fished a matuka today for the first time. It had great swimming action and the trout hammered it until I donated it to a tree.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Back