Size 14 Bead Head Pheasent tail

1stfly

This is my 1st Pheasent tail that I've tied that the pheasent barbules didn't break. What do you think? Any tips on fishing this?

401_45ac1e4d4c4e9.jpg

Thanks
Chris

I think it looks just great. Here's a tutorial on tying them to compare, but I'd be happy if my pheasant tails looked like that.

As far as fishing them... well, the pheasant tail imitates a whole bunch of different mayfly nymphs. So, you will fish it differently depending on what nymphs are active at the time.

Without the benefit of knowing what nymphs are active, I would fish a pheasant tail in swift water, close to the bottom on a dead drift.

About that tutorial, if you squint slightly while viewing step 25, it looks really wrong-- and really painful. :cool:

Jump To It

YEAH That doesnt look good ... Definelty get that looked at !!!!! the tutorial not the fly ... BHPT are great for stockies

Chris,
Great 1st fly. My advise on fishing it... everytime you fish nymphs. I always have one one when fishing 2 or more flies because it resembles so much.

P.S. Everyone on this board has had a moment like step 25, probably in a public restroom (explosive diarrehea).

I've heard of lee wulff tying without a vice, but that's dexterity...

Dear Chris,

I think I ran through a half a box of 3906B's before I had my first keeper and I was just trying to tie a size 12 Muskrat Nymph. Back then boxes of hooks only came in 100's so you know how long I struggled.

My advice to you is to shorten the tail a bit and ditch the folded back leg part. Instead replace the thorax, the section closest to the bead, with a couple of turns of peacock herl and cover it with a couple of strands of pearlescent flashabou for the wing case. If you think you really need the legs a couple of strands of woodduck or brown hackle fibers tied underneath as a beard will suffice.

Keep tying and don't be afraid to fish the flies that you think aren't quite up to snuff. Bugs aren't perfect and fish aren't nearly as selective as we think they are.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back