Silk and soft hackles

T

tomitrout

Bought half a partridge and some fresh colors of Pearsalls to help fight off the cold this winter....the efforts of a couple relaxing evenings at the vise:
1970651_10202542134948336_1710335341_n.jpg

Look out!...hang on!...when you fish the purple ones.:-o

Nice job, TT.

Attachments

• 1970651_10202542134948336_1710335341_n.jpg
    1970651_10202542134948336_1710335341_n.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2
purple seems to be a hot color these days. My new obsession as far as color is root beer.

Whole lotta softies :cool: you know the song. Love them, nicely done TT.

Can you list the materials you used to tie the first three rows (top of pic down) ? Obviously partridge hackle, but what else?

Nice work, Tomitrout. Enjoy them.

Look nice. I have tied alot of soft hackles in my day but never purple.
But I just found a spool of pearsalls in purple. Did not know I had it. I will try a few. They look fishy.

GC

There is something about purple SHs. I tie a starling and purple with a silver wire rib and seem to do very well with it, especially early in the season.

Can you list the materials you used to tie the first three rows (top of pic down) ? Obviously partridge hackle, but what else?

Sure, they're pretty simple; Pearsall silk thread bodies, wire rib and small bit of dubbing for volume, the hackle is partridge.

afishinado wrote:
There is something about purple SHs. I tie a starling and purple with a silver wire rib and seem to do very well with it, especially early in the season.

Totally agree.

Fish really hammer them hard!

Where did you get your partridge? I tried to find some at the show I was at on Sunday but didn't find what I was looking for.

BassPro had a few half-skins hanging on the wall.

Where did you get your partridge? I tried to find some at the show I was at on Sunday but didn't find what I was looking for.

Partridge and rooster hackle are two (of many) materials that I would never recommend buying on-line.
Any time I walk into a fly shop (anywhere) I go right to the partridge skins and take them out of the package.
The good shops know what they have and they are priced accordingly.
I found a skin with beautiful markings on tiny feathers (very rare) that was marked $30 right next to skins that were $10.
I walked out with it. And I had two at home already.

Good idea, this is a tyer who thinks ahead. The smaller feathers on those skins go fast, even on skins with a lot of them they're still in short supply.

Very nice.

Helios,

That is a really good look on that green one. Is that just a dubbed thorax picked out or did you use some other material for between the body and hackle? Real nice!

You guys are tying some nice soft hackles. Since it is snowing again, I think I will tie a few of them my self.
Thanks for motivating me to tie because this winter weather has really put me in bear mode. :)

So I found every thing to tie some purple soft hackles. It has been 2 years since I tied any of these. I can't wait to fish them.

Attachments

• purplesofthackle 53.jpg
    purplesofthackle 53.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4
Back